Friday, June 28, 2013

Short and Sweet -- and Pre-Vaca!

I am about to board a flight to Oregon to spend some time with my aunt and uncle – as well as indulge in a bit of trail running and craft beer drinking.  But, in order to satisfy my reading public, I thought I would simply send a quick workout update before doing so – and to celebrate the fact that my workout buddy has returned from his long week away.  (He gained 6 bs while gone … therefore he felt compelled not to skip his workouts this week.  By Friday, he’d managed to lose all but a couple of them!)

So, Monday, we met and took it easy on the bike.  I’d just completed a fairly tough weekend of workouts – and while I wasn’t sore, Matt’s always good to remind me that I need the easy days so that I don’t feel fatigued and overworked.


Tuesday, Matt met me for a 4.5 mile run through my neighborhood.  Nothing exciting to report – although, I was evidently going pretty slow, so there was some complaining from the peanut gallery.


Wednesday I got up and headed to the pool.  Aaron got me stoked to try some new drills in the pool.  Needless to say, I kicked my own ass and was exhausted for the rest of the day.  I know I have to spend more time doing speed drills in the pool or I will never get faster.  Well, even with my easy laps in between the tough sprints, I had an avg 100 meter pace of 2:18 – rather than my usual 2:33 (over 1700 meters).  My sprints were right around 2:00/100 meters.  It probably seems like nothing to these real swimmers, but 2:18 would be a dream for me. 

Thursday, I met Matt at the trailhead and we did 5 miles (2.5 out and back) on the Desert Classic.  Work has been pretty stressful lately – what with the Affordable Care Act wreaking havoc on my staffing needs – so, he allowed me to bitch about fewer staff, less money and higher expectations.  By the end of the 5 miles, I thanked him for always allowing me to unload on our tougher runs.  It was a hot morning – so the run was tougher than usual, too.


This morning (Friday), we met with the anticipation of another Tour de Ahwatukee – but by mile 5 we both laughed and decided to push out some fast miles on Pecos Road and out to the reservation, instead.  23+ miles later, Matt was spent and I was lamenting the fact that I would be away from my beloved bike for 10 days.  But – Matt assured me my trip would be worth the separation pains.



So, my friends – I am off.  More in another week or two!   

No comments:

Post a Comment