Sunday, August 4, 2013

Nothing special - but good workouts!

I have been tossing around the idea of blogging on a more daily basis because sitting down and carving out time each Sunday is becoming more and more difficult.  I’m not sure why it is that I feel like I have less time to chunk these things out – but it is what it is. 

Last Sunday was Silent Sunday and I managed to get a group together to take on the big mountain at 5:30 in the morning.  David and Chauncy, who had just joined Matt and me on a 35 mile ride a couple of days prior, were both game to get in some hill work.  Considering the fact that they had just relocated from the San Francisco area, South Mountain’s Summit must look like a walk in the park to them.  Josh and Aaron came out for the workout, as well.

The struggle to the top got me again, in the 90 degree heat, as I had to very briefly hop off my bike instead of toppling over at one point.  But, with only a few paces on foot, I managed to complete the ride only to see Aaron waiting for me at the very top.  I saw David coming down as I nearly summited, so I knew he managed to hit the top, first.  A couple minutes after I hit the top, Josh joined us and nearly vomited on his cleats doing so.  We never saw Chauncy – but we later learned he simply turned around when he saw David coming down. 
At the Summit -- Josh (L) and Aaron (R)

Josh, Aaron and I flew down the mountain and headed out San Juan Road for another 10 miles of less difficult hills.  The hills are there, and we of course hate them after already having climbed the Summit, but they are absolutely manageable.

All in all it was about a 25 mile ride of incredible work. 

So, Monday I took it easy and practiced what I had learned in my Masters Swim class a couple days prior.  I am so pleased with how changing my form so slightly has cut so much time off my swim.  1500 or so meters later, I felt accomplished and nearly ready for my next tri.

Monday afternoon I got the exciting news that my former running buddy, Cat, would be flying in from Florida in December to run the Tucson Marathon.  It inspired me so much (since I am also doing Tucson) that I took our old 6 mile route on Tuesday morning just to be able to think about how much I enjoyed running with her!  Its so hot here, right now, so my 9:25 pace is just something I am going to have to be ok with --- for now.

Wednesday morning I headed into the Foothills for my 18 mile hill ride.  The San Diego Tri Classic has a substantial hill so I am ensuring I have NO problem conquering it again this year.  92 degrees at 5am when I started, but I was pleased with how comfortable I felt doing the hill work.  The Silent Sunday work was definitely paying off.

Thursday morning I hit the trails for 5 miles – just because I love it so much.  The heat makes it harder, but nothing beats hitting the saddle and staring at the sunrise.  Nothing.  I only wish this picture did it justice.  Alas.

Matt and I had the same plan for Friday and met up for a nice ride out Pecos Rd and back.  While getting ready at the Park ‘n Ride (before Matt joined), I saw a group of riders about to start their ride out Pecos.  They were all wearing Camelbak watering systems for hydration, instead of relying on acceptable water bottles in cages on their frames.  This is really incorrect – and looks absurd, since they have cages for their water bottles, as well.  They headed out of the Park ‘n Ride a minute or two before we did and had a ½ mile lead on us at the start. 

Its simply amazing how neither Matt or I have to say anything to one another about our desire to make mincemeat of other riders.  With a fast grin, we were off, passing the four of them with little to no difficulty.  But shortly after we passed them, we could feel something/someone latching on to our wheels.  Astonished, Matt looked at me and said, “Did they grab our wheels without asking or announcing?”  This is a HUGE no-no in the cycling world.  What if one of us came to an abrupt stop or needed to swiftly move over – they could very well hit us or make us go down.  We spoke loudly about how unacceptable their behavior was, and with another swift grin, we both punched out speeds we knew would annihilate them.  And, they were left – far far behind.

It was a fun ride and I hit the hills with an ease I have never had before. 

Saturday morning I faced my Master Swim class again and Coach-Diane had us working on our form before making the 7 of us compete against one another for the last 25 minutes of class.  We started with 25 meter races, then 50 – and finally she made us race using our weakest strokes.  I shared a lane with a gal named, Ashley.  She and I were neck and neck with every drill.  It was nice to have someone who really pushed me in the very same lane.  Yeah, we knocked elbows and knees, occasionally, but we both admitted we got more out of that class than any other.  I learned that she’s a runner, as well – similar pace to mine.  So, we exchanged numbers after class to work on sprint drills on the ground, one of these days.

And then this morning I met Aaron, Joe, David and Matt for a ride around South Mountain.  I’ll admit, adding someone new into the training mix is always hard, but I think we really got our groove after about 15-20 miles.  David is a super strong endurance athlete – that is clear, but he is learning the ropes of being a team-rider.  I had to remind him that we were keeping a 21-22 mph pace several times, and to check to make sure he hadn’t dropped anyone when he was in the lead.  Because he doesn’t have a bike clock, it simply made it a lot tougher for him to manage.  But, once we learned to call things out to him, he fit right in.  Unfortunately, being behind someone without a bike clock can really work/tire your legs.  They constantly go up and down and it’s a lot more work for those of us directly behind him.  I think he may show up with a
bike clock for the next major ride (smiling)!

The ride was great.  I was pleased with my work – save a few miles on the front side of the mountain.  But, all in all, I think everyone held their own.
L-R: Aaron, Joe, Mer, Matt and David

Right after the ride, I put my running shoes on and did a 2.5 mile run around the neighborhood close to the Park ‘n Ride.  It was 93 degrees at the start and my legs were wrecked from the ride, but it was good to know I could still get out there, after 43 miles on the bike, and make it happen. 


(Sorry, forgot to take a post run shot – was overwhelmed by the damn heat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment