Sunday, August 5, 2012

Swims, rides, runs and weight gain/loss!


Monday of this week marked the end of our 4 day work-weeks, but it also meant that I would have an hour more time to finish my daily workouts, shower, eat and get to work.  The week prior I had lamented to Matt on one of our rides that I’d gained a ½ lb and was annoyed – because I’d been working so hard to eat right and work-out consistently.  To gain a ½ lb was an insult.  Putting it in perspective, he said “ya know, my wife always gains weight around ‘that time of the month’ ”…

So, keeping in mind that it had been “that time (of the month)”, I stepped on the scale with trepidation on Monday morning (after my 2000 meter swim) and I had not only lost the ½ lb I thought I gained the prior week, but another lb, as well.  All was not lost.

Tuesday morning, Matt met me for a 6 mile road run – which wound up being 4-5 miles of running and at least a mile of walking.  It was ok – sometimes your runs need to be about good conversation and company and less about pace and heart-rate.  Right?!  (Well, we thought so.)
We look good...probably because we walked the last mile!
Wednesday morning, though, we really cranked it up on the bike and decided that the additional time we had in the mornings needed to be filled with tough hill training – and we really cranked out one of the hardest hill rides we’ve ever done together.  My bike computer reminded me with each hill that I am getting stronger and better – and that I should fear San Diego less and less.  21 miles later, we felt accomplished!  I should also tell you that my work-out buddy – the one who convinces me that I don’t need the peanut M&M’s when I crave them, the one who told me how proud he was (of me) when I resisted an entire tray of brownies all day, even though they lay in front of me and everyone who came by ate one – Yes, HIM!  HE TEXTED ME FROM THE DRIVE-THRU OF BOSA DONUTS ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON and moments later appeared in my office with an entire box of deliciousness, explaining that he had already consumed TWO!  All I could think about was the ½ lb I had almost gained the week prior.  But, dang it, I reached into the box of good-ness and ate one!  (Shaking fist at Matt!)

So, when I got the morning text on Thursday saying he was “too tired” to do a trail run with me, I strapped my feet into my trail shoes and headed out, alone – to work off that goddamned donut!  The sun had not quite come up when I reached the trail, so I had to be uber cautious at first, but got into a nice groove by the 3rd mile, when I passed a couple of mountain bikers who commented about how “hard core” I was while running up one of the tougher inclines.  I went further than I typically do on my trail runs, so it was a huge accomplishment.  It also solidified (to me) that the dang Bosa was a thing of the past.  Trail running is so much more difficult than street running – and as you can see, its 100% more aesthetically rewarding!  6 miles later, I headed home to send my stats to Mr. Sleepy-head!
About 1/4 of the way -- at the top of a tough climb!  So gorgeous!

Accomplished!
And, of course, Friday was no longer a day off, so our 30-40 mile rides quickly became a thing of the past.  But, Matt did get his ass out of bed on Friday for another nice 20 mile ride through the foothills – kicking my butt all the way up the tougher hills.  One day…one day.
Bosa-butt and me, post ride!
Saturday morning I woke early to swim because I knew I needed to pick Anne and Loretta up at 7:15am from their runs.  (They decided to have their long run end at a favorite breakfast joint and I would be their ride home.)

After cranking out the BEST 2000 meters I have ever had (49:58), I dried off and stepped on the scale, again.  Maybe the thing needs recalibration, but according to the scale I use each and every week (and every time I swim),  I worked off that Bosa and more – the thing said I had lost another 4.8 lbs that week, which officially brings me to 1.5 lbs less than I weighed the day I started high school in 1987!  Boy, how nice would it be if it was actually right.  I’ll see tomorrow, I suppose.

I bears mentioning that Anne and Loretta finished their 6 and 8 mile runs with flying colors and I was never so proud to be the Sherpa who brought them both home, after!
Loretta showing Sean the Reverse Camera Feature.  He loved it!
Around 3am, this morning, I rolled over and remembered that the women’s Olympic marathon was to begin, so I clicked the TV on in the bedroom to have in the background before actually rising for the day at 4:15am.  By 5am, Kara Goucher was clearly not going to be the winner and Brent landed at my house to push out another 10 mile run.

I abandoned the marathon viewing to head out into 91 degree temperatures for 10 miles.  We did very well for about 6.5 miles, but then really become outdone by the heat.  We resolved to do some walking here and there and finished the 10 miles in what may have been our slowest time, ever: 1:47.  I know I have mentioned it before in this blog – but I really need to be more “ok” with my times in the heat than I am.  I cannot quit training, so I just have to know that some mornings are going to destroy me/us and it’s about having the motivation to continue and also having enough water to hydrate properly.  Today we had both – even though our times were not pretty.  I am just glad we pushed through it and finished!
We made it -- a little less sweaty than last Sunday!
Here’s to hoping I can convince my running/cycling buddies that the heat won’t kill us – even though it may defeat us from time to time.  Just think – only about 8 more weeks of this!  (smile)

No comments:

Post a Comment