Monday, November 19, 2012

Philly Marathon Weekend!

Here it is a day post marathon and its STILL all I can think about.  I know many of you are not surprised, but seriously, I feel like there is so much to share and so little time (or so little chance of keeping your attention long enough for you to actually remain interested).  I will try - but in all likelihood - you're in for the long haul.
The marathon weekend began the morning following my 40th birthday.  I know, I know - you're all shocked (and appalled) that someone who looks as good as me just celebrated her 40th; well, its true.  I am still dealing with it.  (wink) 
Ron met me at my house at 7:30am and Kris was kind enough to drop the two of us off at the airport en route to work.  Needless to say, it was an uneventful flight since, due to severe nausea, I slept 75% of it.  Poor Ron; at least he had warning.  But seriously, I was out before we were 500 feet in the air.
Our flight arrived a little early and we rushed off to check into the hotel and get to the Marathon Expo (which didn't close until 9pm Friday night).  The air was crisp, cold and windy -- our Arizona bones did not acclimate so well as we walked the 1/2 mile to the Philly Convention Center.  Not to mention, Ron complained the whole walk (evidently he was hungry and turns into a zombie of some sort without food - I blame his wife for not telling me about this.  I mean, at least I am up front about my moodiness due to hunger.)  And, the Expo was super lame - SUPER lame!  All of the usual marathon exhibitors were absent; there was no fanfare and the vendors seemed completely disinterested.  Vendors, by the way, included things like siding for your home and insurance companies - LAME!  However, there was one expected vendor - Garmin.  As I approached the Garmin booth I asked about their expo discount - knowing the 910XT had been slightly out of reach for the average Joe.  "10% off and no sales tax in PA," the gal said.  I perked up and quickly did the math in my head.  That was about an $80 savings - and I whipped out my debit card and applied every ounce of my birthday moneys to my brand new Garmin (with all the triathlon bells and whistles).  I cannot wait to use it on my next swim and ride. 
Super excited!  All mine!
After we left the Expo, I texted one of my absolute best friends in the universe, Candice, and she met us out at a local pub near our hotel.  She'd moved to Philly the prior October for a great job - so it was wonderful that we selected a destination-marathon near her.  The three of us celebrated my birthday and came up with lots of other things to celebrate, as well, as we ordered round after round, hoping it would help numb us from the chill in the air.  (It did not; it actually only made it worse, as Ron and I huddled on our walk back to the hotel late that evening.)
The moment I saw Candice in the pub!

A lot of drinks later outside the pub!  (She hates this pic, but I love it!)
We awakened early on Saturday morning with the intention of jogging to the starting/finish line so we would know exactly how far it was from our hotel.  We met at 7am and both lamented that our phone's weather apps said "36 degrees".  We simply did not have the correct attire for such a run - but we were going to make it work.  I piled on a long sleeved running shirt, a light jacket and something to cover my ears, and Ron had gloves and a cap.  We could only laugh as we stepped foot outside hoping we'd warm up quickly.  And, we did.  It was 1.45 miles to the starting line, and we agreed that it was a perfect distance to warm us up the next morning prior to the start.  As we approached the starting line, we remembered that there was a pre-marathon 8K going on the day prior and there were several thousand runners lining up to run their historic short race. 
Me, finish line!

...and Ron!
It also happened to be the area of the city where Rocky ran his famous steps and did his famous pose.  Naturally, we walked the steps and posed in front of the statue -- it was super cheesy and we were having a great time, even if super cold.  The Rocky theme was also playing in the background as the race started, and all we could do was enjoy the momentum of the race, the location and the fans. 
 The Rocky Steps!
Sideways... I tried everything (deal with it)
Then we walked/jogged back to our hotel to begin a day of sight-seeing in a new city for both of us.
After my shower, I put on one of my favorite birthday gifts from Anne's kids -- you'll see it pictured below.  I, naturally, layered it with a long-sleeve shirt and a down jacket. 
Two sideways photos...alas.  Not my fault.
First, Ron and I went to a local Amish breakfast joint in the midst of a HUGE market in downtown Philly.  We both had eggs, turkey bacon and blueberry pancakes -- everyone assured us it would be amazing.  Well, I don't think either of us were particularly impressed with the food (or the coffee, for that matter), but it was fun seeing the ladies in their get-ups, complete with bonnet.  I did have to specially request "sweet 'n low" -- and fortunately no one gave me a dirty look.  I wouldn't dare ask for soy or I might have been pummeled.  I risked the whole milk, but feared for my life - I'll admit.  We wandered the impressive market filled with fish, meats, cheeses, chocolates, wines and so much more.  It was a wonderful way to start our morning. 
The Amish Cafe!
After breakfast, we headed to the Independence Hall area and got our history on.  We saw the Liberty Bell and got tours of all of the first buildings of Philly, including the very room the Declaration of Independence was signed.  It was a lot of great information -- in fact, I think at some points Ron and I both felt we were getting re-educated. 
Independence Hall behind me

Ron POSED for a pic!
Then, we headed back to the mid-town area and hit the Franklin Institute of Science.  Unbeknownst to us, we snuck into the museum without paying the $16.50 pp admission cost.  We made a left after using the bathrooms and found the museum - and simply walked in.  No one stopped us as we played with mechanisms that taught us about electricity and currents and showed us a lot of the "lighted" history of Philadelphia.  We then made our way through the rest of the museum, spending about an hour learning about steam and coal trains and the history of the train and it innovation.  Lastly, we found the section of the museum dedicated to the aircraft and meandered through exhibits from the Wright Brothers to our military history.  We loved learning about thrust and airspeed, and we got to play with simulated games - often watching young children crash and burn within moments.  Honestly, it wasn't until we had left the gift shop, several hours later, that we noticed we were not in the "free" section of the museum - rather we simply avoided the Ticket Booth altogether.  So, um, thank you City of Philadelphia for affording us an education - we loved it!  (Candice met us at the museum after we'd been there for a couple of hours and commented, "I was not aware that there was a free section of the museum.") -- soooooo, that's why everyone else had wrist bands and stickers.  (squint)
In The Franklin Inst train area
Da plane...da plane!
By then it was around 4:30pm and we agreed that we needed to get an early dinner and head back to our hotel rooms to retire early.  Candice took us to one of her favorite pasta/pizza joints and each of us had delightful and filling meals.  Candice also took us through her Wells Fargo Museum after dinner (which was super impressive) and then we said our goodnights and she left for home and we our hotel.
Saying good-bye is always hard ... sigh
As we hugged goodnight, Ron and I commented on our enormously fun day and wished each other a successful night's sleep - Sunday was the big day.  Ron and I always have to negotiate our wake-up/out-the-door-time, as he appreciates sleep a bit more than I. 
And, at 5:45am the following morning, we met and headed to the starting line.  It was COLD!  I had purchased a $2 zippered sweatshirt from Goodwill and a $2 pair of throw-away gloves and was prepared to simply be cold as we walked the mile and a half to the start.  As we made our way through Philly we picked up more and more marathoners as we walked.  The more marathoners, the warmer we all were.  By the time we were 1/2 a mile from the start, there was a sea of runners ready to accomplish something most wouldn't dream of. 
Ron and I both made pit stops at the port-a-potties as we approached the start, and then waited for 20 minutes in our corral waiting for the line to begin to move.  The energy in the corrals was amazing.  Everyone was talking to one another wishing each other a great run.  For many, this was their first marathon, and for others, this was merely another one to check off on their lists of locations.  For me, the anticipation makes me anxious and quiet.  All I could think about was my training and how hard I had worked to see my first 4:30 marathon.  I have always known I could do it, but once again, there I was lined up with 30,000 other runners hoping we could see it through.
As the race started, the crowds were on fire.  For miles and miles and miles there were crowds 3 people deep along the side of the Philly Streets.  I had failed to accurately start my Garmin and didn't realize it until 4/10s of a mile into the run.  I admit, it pissed me off for a moment, but then I realized that the math would keep me focused as I ticked passed each mile marker.  The Garmin is occasionally off by a couple of tenths at the end, anyway. 
Ron and I got separated, right away.  No big deal - we had a post-run-meet-up-spot and we knew were both going to try to find and stick with the gal with the 4:15 pace sign.  Right around mile 5, I passed the 4:15 pacer and was feeling super strong.  And, somewhere around that same point, I saw Ron in the distance and caught up to him to say hello.  He mentioned that his knee was bothering him already, so I told him he was going pretty fast and could stand to slow it up, if he needed to.  His comment, "Hell no; I am going this fast to get this over with sooner."  All I could do was smile, turn my music back on and run.  We got separated again - Ron taking the lead by about 45 seconds. 
At mile 10 or so, there was a switch back and we saw that we really were keeping pace with one another.  We were ecstatic when we saw each other, high fiving each other as we passed.  I was having a great time and feeling super strong.  By mile 14, my stomach was in knots.  I felt like I was going to have issues and began to worry.  My 9:45 pace started to become a 10:00 and 10:15 pace, as I considered sacrificing a couple of minutes to find a port-a-potty.  But, each time I got near one, the line was several runners deep and I simply tried to keep my discomfort at bay, hoping it would either pass or I would find a potty without a line in the future.  I never did; every potty had a line.  Additionally, miles 14-21 had us watch as the uber fast runners were completing miles 21-26 - the course ran up and back along the river.  It was tough to see the first finishers pass us as we hit the mile 15 marker.  And, later, to see the 3:15 marathon pacer run by - knowing I was at least an hour behind them.  Those were tough miles -- we passed runners who looked hammered coming in the opposite direction.  The jury is still out as to whether its a good idea to do that to the slower runners. 
However, as I passed the mile 20 marker I could see the turn around/switch-back ahead, and I knew I would be on the other side of that pain-cave.  I came around the sharp bend and could see Ron a few steps in front of me.  I smiled at him and said, "so, shall we finish this one together, too?"  But the look on his face said it all as he waved me on, "No, you go on; I am in a lot of pain, Mer."  Fearful and worried for Ron, I passed him and trudged on.  I never hit the wall.  I passed mile 22 and 23 without noticing it.  By mile 24 my heart was in my throat as I glanced at my watch every now and then to check my pace -- and I was still holding strong around a 9:45-9:55 pace.  I knew I would REALLY have to screw up not to make my time at that point and I was getting excited.  At mile 25, I did the math and realized that I was not only going to make my time, I was going to come in around 4:20.  I started to get choked up and tried to snap out of it.  Could I really push out a sub-10 minute pace for the entirety of 26.2 miles?  I could barely see the street in front of me for the welling of tears.  I saw, again, the droves of people lined up 5-6 people deep, screaming at the runners.  I turned off my music and kept hearing my name, "Meredith - you have this!"  "Meredith, don't stop, you are amazing!"  "Meredith, only a little more to go!"  "GO Meredith, GO!"  I was in awe and overwhelmed with emotion.
I passed the Mile 26 marker and glanced at my watch 4:18 and change -- I had done it.  I had really done it -- and in the distance I could see the finish line.  One last glance at the crowd and I heard, "Meredith!!!!" and there he was.  Dennis stood with his camera phone, two deep in the thickest part of the crowd.  Then, I could see his mom, Lynette.  I blew her kisses and smiled, trying to utter "Thank you" without crying.  I crossed the finish line and the mayor of Philly gave me a high five.  I had done it.  I knew I started the race with the clock at 20:16 -- so when I crossed at 4:40:48, I knew I had done something I never thought possible. 
I truly ran my first marathon, yesterday.  Every inch of that 26.2 miles, I ran.  I never walked to take Gu or Water, I ran through every water stop - sometimes getting water all over my face instead of in my system.  But, I didn't care -- I was going to run!  I knew I could do it -- and I did!  4:20!!!
I found Dennis and Lynette while walking through the runner recovery area -- and stopped inside the recovery zone to wait for Ron.  I left him just before mile 21, so I knew (unless he walked) he wasn't far behind.  Lynette took pictures and so did Dennis -- it was fun.  I pulled my phone out of my waist pouch and could see a million screaming texts from Anne and Loretta - as well as a few from Matt telling me to keeping pushing through.  9 minutes later, Ron crossed the finish line and I found him a limping mess in the recovery zone.  But we had done it -- together again.  We embraced and walked to meet Dennis, Lynette and Candice (who were somewhere in the crowd). 
Two Proud Finishers!
There were Philly Cheesesteaks to follow and many beers to numb the aches and pains - but we were two VERY proud runners and its all we talked about into the night, and (of course) again this morning, before I left him at the St. Louis airport - where I got off the plane and he continued on to Phoenix. 
I am really having a great 40th year -- and I know there's much more, now, to accomplish. 




No comments:

Post a Comment