Monday, February 18, 2013

Two ..Two Blogs in One Week(end)!


Well, I promised a second blog, this 3-day weekend – so here it goes.

Last week some time, I had asked Matt if he might light to do a long ride (~35 miles) out to Maricopa and back on Monday, since we both had the day off.  It seemed like a good idea to him, as well.  I asked Josh and Aaron to join us – since we’re all training for the Leadman Tri, which is making its debut in Tempe in 7 weeks and 6 days (biting nails).  As I may have mentioned in previous blogs – this Leadman (for many of us) is no joke.  The website refers to the competitors as “elite” athletes and the 1.6 mile swim has to be completed in 1:15 or your DQ’ed and not allowed to complete the course.  In fact, every portion of the race has a competitive cut-off.  STRESS!!!

Aaron and Josh both agreed to join us, as did their good friend Joe (who debuted in my blog over the summer when he did the Mountain Man tri with us in Flagstaff).  We headed out of the Park ‘n Ride at 40th and Pecos around 10:15am.  I announced as we were getting ready that there’d be no drafting on this particular ride (Matt's rules) – we needed to try to complete it as if it were a triathlon where drafting comes with a 4 minute penalty.  Aaron and Joe admitted at that moment that they had already swam for 4000 yards earlier that morning, so they were unsure they could handle these rules, but they’d try.  Josh is always up for a challenge – something I really appreciate about him.  The man simply never complains about anything – not the cold, the route, the distance or the endurance level.

As we made our way out of the parking lot, we all admitted to feeling pretty good – and we all refrained from drafting.  The winds were across the long Maricopa Road and not head-on, which made for a much more pleasant ride than the last several times Matt and I attempted this run.  In fact, the weather also cooperated – with temps starting around 60 at 10am and ending around 70 at noon.  The sun was shining and the roads were clear.

The 5 of us stuck with each other – maintaining non-drafting distances and we were fine.   We pulled 19-21 mph on the way out to Maricopa, something I never dreamed I could do for the first half with no amount of relief (but I did!).  We all regrouped at a gas station at the ½ way point and were off within a couple of minutes to return to Ahwatukee and the Park and Ride.
Amazingly, we all continued to feel strong – pulling 19-22 mph on the way back.  I kept looking at my watch as it said an AVS of 18.9 and then 19.0 and then 19.1 – and eventually 19.3.  Never have we gone UP at the end, usually it comes down slowly as we finish the long ride.  But, Matt pushed me – hanging at my side the entire ride.  Every so often he’d listen for rough breathing patterns in me and ask us to back off a bit; and each time he did, I was back up to speed within a ½ mile.  He evidently knows when I need to pull back a smidge.  It saves me a LOT of energy – even when only for a minute or two.  I continue to learn about good riding skills from him each and every time we head out.  Had he not insisted we back off a couple of times (and when I say back off – we’d go from 21 mph to 19), I don’t know that I would have been able to finish as strong as I did.  His system simply worked.

We came to the Park ‘n Ride in 1:48 for 35 miles – INCREDIBLE!  My watch said 19.3 AVS when we got there, but when I uploaded my data and it removed stoplights, my final AVS was a 19.6.  I did it – no drafting!  I am simply beside myself.  And, only now am I feeling like that label of an “elite” athlete is within reach.  What if I actually place in my age group????  (giggity)

The gang (L to R): Joe, Aaron, Josh, Matt (and me in front)
After the ride, I had an awesome massage and then met a lovely gal who was interested in possibly purchasing my old(er) bike – the bike that built me; the bike that helped me find a sport I could love “almost” as much as running; the bike that made me appreciate multi-sport athletics; AND most importantly, the bike that made me the triathlete I am today.  It was emotional watching her ride around the parking lot, and even more emotional watching her place it gently into her Subaru and drive off.  I am hopeful she will enjoy riding that bike as much as I did.  Now I move on, I suppose, but I have to post one last picture.  Enjoy…

One last pic...


No comments:

Post a Comment