Sunday, May 26, 2013

OverCooked!


The only word that comes to mind when I think about this week’s training is “Overcooked” – an expression often used by athletes to describe the moment they realize that they have not taken enough time between races or enough rest between workouts.  It doesn’t happen to me often, but this week I realized I need to cut back a little in order to have a solid race next weekend.  I only hope I can prepare and cut back all at the same time.

Monday morning I hit the road for a moderate ride.  It was supposed to be easy, but I had a lot swirling around in my head that morning and simply needed to feel my heart and labored breathing to put everything into place. 

By Tuesday morning I was feeling a heck of a lot better and met Matt for a lovely trail run.  Because Matt stopped at 2-miles-out and I continued for another ½ mile, so that I would have a 5 mile run, he caught the sunrise with me approaching on film.  Here are the shots at just about the 3 mile mark for me.  I just love them!  Thanks, Matt!

If you click on it, you should be able to see me and my flying ponytail approaching.

Here too -- and just look at that sunrise!

Bam!

Wednesday morning was to be one of the most stressful days and I anticipated it all night long.  I have been serving in an interim capacity as the Dean of Students now for 19 months.  Wednesday was the day for final interviews for the Dean’s position.  The final candidates (myself included) faced forums, committee interviews, meetings with the President’s Cabinet members and a final interview with the President and Vice President.  It was to be an all-day affair.  And, because of my heightened stress level, Matt suggested we head out for some tough hill repeats that morning to get my head in the game.  Fortunately, it was exactly what I needed and I was able to focus on nothing but the pain of the climb for a full hour.  For those of you who don’t know, Matt serves on the President’s Cabinet – so I had that going for me, even if he was only one of many.

Yes, sometimes Matt does this to me while I am taking the picture.  So I usually post the normal shot (below).  This one was worth showcasing.  Its why we're such good friends.  We can laugh after hard workouts.

And still smile.
I also had to include this next picture in my blog (even though unrelated to my workouts).  These are the managers I have the privilege of working with every day.  They texted this picture to me mere moments before I walked into my first round of interviews (the forum).  It actually gave me incredibly confidence and pride.  I cannot thank them enough.  Assuming I keep my position, I will be printing it and showing it off on my desk for all to see.

Antonia, Cindy, Kris, Adam, Jackie and Yvonne - I love them, too!
Thursday morning I went out for a 6 mile run.  My intention was to attempt a faster than usual pace, but like the title of this blog claims – I just didn’t have it in me.  I carried a 9 minute pace for all 6 miles – good enough for a sub-2 half marathon, but not at all what I am capable of doing.  I admit to being a little disappointed, but again, I think I need to scale back to see better numbers.

Friday morning, I met Matt a little before 5am for a nice, long trek out to Maricopa and back.  We love this ride – its long and relatively flat.  However, its situated along a pretty busy stretch of road that often has incredible head/tail/cross winds.  Something clicked for both of us on Friday, though.  While at first I thought I would have a tough morning, we maintained nearly a 20 mph pace for over 30 miles.  It was incredible and so much fun.  I admit, I sang a little – which always make Matt laugh.  It also takes away from the mundane stretches that can go on for miles and miles.  We chilled for our last 5 or so miles as we made our way back to the Park ‘n Ride – mostly because we wanted to chat about how much fun we just had. 

Knowing how exhausting these workouts can be, I took Saturday off, entirely.   Not only did I sleep for a solid 8 hours heading into Saturday – I took TWO lengthy naps in the late morning and mid-afternoon. 

And, after a solid night’s sleep last night, I headed out for a 7.5 mile run through the foothills, this morning.  My muscles were fatigued and I knew it.  I could feel them arguing with one another for the entirety of the run – having chats like “come on soleus, don’t fail me now” and “oh, man, is that my gastroc muscle that I feel?”  I took it as easy as I felt I could and still eeked out a pace that would gain me a sub-2 half marathon.  I didn’t want to push it – after all, we’re only 6 days from San Diego.  I can and will push it on race day. 

Anne had her 7 mile run, as well.  So, I met her at her finishing spot and we enjoyed breakfast together to celebrate the long road of training in preparation for the half.  

Next up – San Diego!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment