Sunday, June 23, 2013

One week 'til Vacation, baby!

Gotta say – not really in the mood to spend time writing my blog, today.  I am going to let the pictures speak for the majority of this, but here’s the run-down.

Monday – I took a much much much needed day off of work outs.  Tuesday – I got up, rode hard for 18+ miles through the Foothills of Ahwatukee and felt pretty accomplished for the rest of the day.


Wednesday morning, knowing I had to be on the road to a team retreat (work related team, of course) in Prescott at 6am, I managed a lovely 6 mile run at 4am. 

The sun was JUST coming up -- pic looks so odd because of it.
Thursday, in Prescott, my team-mate and fellow Ragnarian, Brian, and I went on an uber tough 3.5 mile run.  I know, I know – what could possibly have been so tough given all that I have done.  Well, Prescott’s elevation is over 5000 feet  -- and then we climbed another few hundred in the first mile of the run.  And, then we did it again – yep, twice around this beautiful, challenging trail.

Taken with Brian's iPhone myspace style.  
See...look at the starting elevation numbers.  My heart was practically begging to come out of my chest.
Matt was back in town on Friday, so he and I went out for an easy ride on Friday morning. 


Saturday, knowing I needed to get in a long run, I headed out for a 10 miler.  The temps are far warmer, so about 6+ miles into the run I seriously wanted it to be over.  I was warm, my water was warm and I was getting slower.  But, as I rounded the corner at mile 7.5, a Dido song came on my iPod, and I was not going to surrender (Dido: White Flag).  For whatever reason, its theme carried me for another 2.5 miles.  I finished strong and happy.

Trust me, this is the expression of total relief (that its over).
After a solid night’s sleep, I awakened this morning feeling ready to hit the pool for a solid 1500 meters.  I am, sadly, not getting any faster, so I know I have to get back to my Masters class when I return from my upcoming vacation. 

As soon as I completed my swim, I rushed home, threw my bike in my car and headed to South Mountain for Silent Sunday.  I believe the last time I enjoyed a morning climb to the summit – it was a dark December morning.  My good friend (and fellow triathlete), Aaron, met me at 6:30am, and we trudged up the mountain together.  All was going well until just before the summit when this poor sap in front of me couldn’t push out the last 2/10ths to the top and stopped completely, nearly teetering over.  This of course meant I lost all momentum and also nearly fell over.  I got off my bike and walked briskly for about a 1/10 before hitting a spot from which I knew I could muster energy to climb to the top.  So, it was a rather pathetic last attempt at the top, but I was NOT going to not make it.  That was not an option, even if it meant I had to walk.

At the very top!  I really liked this photo -- we looked like jackasses taking pics.  There were like 30 cyclists at the top.
Aaron and I flew down the mountain and, once at the bottom, raced back to our cars.   It was a lot of fun, albeit super hard.  I am glad I did both, today.  I feel rather accomplished!

Not sure when the next blog will be – I am off to Oregon and wine country this coming Friday.  I will bring my running shoes (both trail and street) – there will be lots of pictures and tales when its all over.  I simply cannot wait! 


(Has any blog of mine ever been this short?  Well…truth be known, I need a nap – this is really all I have in me, today.)
Awkward shot, but Anne and Lyla met me for breakfast this morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment