Saturday, July 2, 2011

Contented...

Yesterday morning I didn’t set my alarm. I figured I would wake naturally and simply hit the gym, rather than run outside in the horrid heat. But, when I awakened, the temperature outside was a mere 82 at 5am, so I threw my running shoes on and went for a 6 mile run – outside. The benefits of being able to run outside are incredible. I get the hard hills and then the occasional relief of a 15 second stoplight break. About an hour later – the run was done and I was really pleased I awakened (naturally) with enough time to enjoy the non-90-degree morning I was expecting.

This morning, I set my alarm for 5am – I promised my friend, Kathleen, I would help get her started (running). This would be our second time out together in 8 days – not too bad! As I drove to her house at 545am, I couldn’t help but think of something my masseuse (Lisa) said the afternoon prior. “Meredith, you run to inspire others, I bet.” I was knee-deep in the enjoyment of the massage and didn’t really think about the intent of her message until 545am – en route to Kathleen’s. I know I run to clear my anxious mind. I know I run to be able to eat a lot of the foods I probably shouldn’t. I know I run because I am painfully, internally competitive. And, I guess I know I run to inspire those around me to do something challenging.

In fact, earlier this week, another co-worker (Jackie) came flying into my office to tell me that she’s started running – slowly and with lots of breaks, but she has a goal to complete a ½ marathon. She asked if I could help her.

I feel very fortunate. I have surrounded myself, for the first time in my life, with the kinds of people who not only appreciate me – but trust me enough to help them accomplish something incredible challenging. I cannot believe it has taken me over 38 years to find the right balance of good people and good choices in my life. I might stretch and say this could very well be the most peaceful I have ever felt – perhaps even the happiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment