Sunday, July 10, 2011


Today marks the end of week 4 of marathon training – in preparation for St. Louis. I am still completely tortured by the horrible heat. I am able to pull through about 45 minutes of running before needing to take water and rest my exhausted body. Unfortunately, I didn’t think I would need much water on my run, this morning – since it was incredibly humid. Boy was I mistaken – I was out of water shortly after I hit mile 6 – which was 2 miles ‘til the end. I thought about cutting my run 6/10’s of a mile short, as a result, but as I hit the 7 mile marker, I was convinced that another 9-10 minutes of running was not going to utterly dehydrate me. Naturally, I made it and was pleased I had pushed through all 8 miles with relative ease.

Next weekend, I have an 11 mile run. Training is going to have to be more focused with lots of water and electrolytes to keep my body in check. I admit to being worried, but even if I need breaks here and there, I know I can do it. I have been there before; I just have to enter the run with a positive mind.

Wish me luck!

PS – this picture was taken as I watched the sun rise on 36th Street/Equestrian in the Ahwatukee Foothills. Its approximately 5.25 miles into my run – I could not believe the clouds, the mountainside and the sun…it was breathtaking. Sadly, you don’t get to see that from this picture – so you’ll have to believe me! After all, I never take out my phone mid-run to pause for a picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment