Sunday, November 13, 2011

15 wet-ish miles!

The forecast was for rain.  In Phoenix.  I was dismayed.  My friend, PLo, assured me that running in the rain would be refreshing, so I went to bed praying to Darwin that the rain would subside prior to my desired 6am start time.

At 11:30pm, I rolled over – pitter patter.  Again at 2:30am, drip drip drip drip.  At 4:45am I heard nothing and decided it was time to look outside to see my morning fate.  When I let Brunhilda (yes, my dog has a ridiculous name – rest assured I had nothing to do with it) outside, the rain was at bay.  This in no way shape or form means my dog did not track mud onto the carpet (from the evening’s rain fest) – it is, after all, what she does best.  I happen to really love it when she is the one who creates the muddy spot and then proceeds to step in it with multiple paws – and then brings it into the house with her.  But, I love her and she’s pretty good looking. 

Brunhilda - she's deaf as a post, but damn-cute!

At 5:45am I text Anne to let her know I will be cautious and slow – but would be honored if she’d grace me with some water around mile 7 ½.  The last time I attempted a long run post-rain, I took a horrible spill that sprained my left knee and kept me out of the game for 7 weeks.  I had trepidation about these 15 miles, to say the least.

I decorated my iFitness belt with red flashing lights – yep, pretty much looked ready for the holidays – hoping that every automobile within 200 feet would avoid me like the plague.  And, they did. 

My first several miles were relatively uneventful – I bobbed and weaved around the puddles, but nary a drop came down.  However, at mile three, I began to feel the little droplets on my face and could see them all over the road.  Keep thinking about what PLo said…you’ll be fine.  Let’s be honest, people who live in Arizona forget how to drive in the rain – my fear was that I would forget how to run, as well.  It rained from miles three through about seven, at which point I was soaked.  SOAKED! 

Anne was surprised to hear I had rain, since there was nothing from her house to the meeting spot at mile 7 ½.  I was relieved – I’d be running to her house another 8 miles to the east.  As she looked over my shoulder while standing at her car, she could see the ominous clouds approaching, so I quickly wiped my face, took my Gu and inhaled some water.  But, I was wet – VERY wet – and every step in my shoes reminded me of my incredibly uncomfortable dampness.

Alas, I trudged on for the next several miles – and managed to avoid rain until just before I hit her house at the end of the run.  However, the damage was done – there was no drying off on this run!  15 miles, 100% humidity, and a slow 2:45.  I felt disgusting, but proud to have completed it!
After the run, I showered at Anne’s, but was unable to warm my bones.  The hours of wet clothes and skin simply did me in.  I am such a ridiculous wimp!  It wasn’t until my 4th cup of coffee at breakfast that I finally found myself comfy. 

Anne’s mom (Pat) treated me to an early birthday present after breakfast – a lovely pedi!  There’s nothing better than having someone work on your feet and calves after 15 miles – NOTHING!  Thanks, Pat!  I have the greatest friends (and Friend’s moms) EVER!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment