Monday, November 7, 2011

Onward and upward!

Four days after I finished the marathon I felt great.  In fact, I cannot remember feeling as good after any of my prior marathons.  So, I asked my friend, Kris, is she would prefer to run the Women’s Half Marathon (on Nov 6th) with me at her side – or if she’d prefer to see me on the sidelines screaming and providing moral support.  Her response, “Oh, definitely run!”

Friday afternoon, in the middle of our work day, Kris and I traveled to Scottsdale to pick up our race packets.  We each got some necessary items (Gu for Mer; earphones/buds/thingies for Kris) – and we went back to work. 

Sunday morning, I woke up at 4:30am ready to go.  Kris, her sister, Jennie, and I met up at the starting line about 45 minutes early – excited and ready to go!  This was to be Kris’ first long race – I was really excited for her.  I texted Kris just before I left the house to say I had decided to bring my phone with me on the run – for the mere fact that I wanted a pre-run photo of the two of us (for my blog, basically.) 


You should all know, the Women’s Half Marathon is a special race and not just because it supports Breast Cancer Research.  It’s 99% women (yes, a few men do run in tutu’s and wigs).  The camaraderie amongst women is so very different than men – we’re very encouraging, we don’t fight for space in the corrals and we laugh…a lot! 

The race started ON TIME and we were OFF.  Again, the crowds moving through the narrow streets of downtown Scottsdale, Arizona made for a very slow start – with women apologizing right and left for bumping elbows with a stranger at their side.  Not my favorite start to any race.  Kris and Jennie were gone – we were together for maybe 50 feet and BAM they were gone into the crowds of women moving steadily through the streets.

We’d met a nice, young woman in the corral named Trina.  She noticed that Kris and I were wearing pacing bibs with 2:15 on them.  She wanted to finish in 2:15 because she knew she could; she confessed that in her first half marathon last January she did a 2:25.  Shaving ten minutes off of a half marathon is no easy feat.  But, I told her she could stick with us because I intended to finish in 2:15 – it was 2 weeks after the full marathon and I was in no mood to push myself any harder than that.  Trina never lost me or left my side – not even in the crowded streets of downtown, Scottsdale.

Kris found me just before the first mile marker and the three of us were rolling through the race.   The first few miles were easy – it was super flat and the temps were around 50 degrees.   I watched my Garmin sit right around a 10:00 min mile pace as we passed mile markers, 1 – 2 – 3 and 4.  Trina and Kris were doing brilliantly.  I was trying to keep us just over a 10 minute mile so that we’d all have the energy to finish strong.  At mile 5, we picked up Vienna – a woman who had been pacing with us for the prior 4 miles and finally asked if she could join us at the 5 mile marker.  However, shortly after mile 6 we headed up the Papago Hill; its 4/10ths of a mile up.  Kris took a break and I told her I’d see her at the next water station – as I would need water and Gu.  Trina, Vienna and I moved on – they held strong up the hill and through the crowds of spectators just after mile 7.  (Mile 7 goes passed the finish line, so everyone and their child is there.)

I do have to say that male spectators kind of stink.  (Sorry guys!).  They spend the entire time on the sidelines completely silent – as if they don’t want to bother us while we run.  They only cheer on their own runner.  Seriously – we all see you there; give us a clap or a “you look great!” 

I saw my roommate, Claire as I made my way through the streets of Tempe – and she was super enthusiastic!  It gave me a quick boost of energy as I made my way through the crowds of screaming people. 

I never saw Kris again, but remained hopeful that she got through the tough hill with success and was right behind me.  Trina,Vienna and I stuck together, talking and encouraging each other up and over the next three dreadful hills of the race.  In fact, it was Vienna that said, “Come on Meredith – you told me it’s the last hill – I am expecting you to run it.”  So, we did.  The three of us ran and ran and ran.

Somewhere around mile 11 I took water and Trina trudged on.  In our fog, Vienna got lost in the crowds and it seemed I would finish alone.  I glanced at my watch and as I passed the 12th mile marker it said “2:03:52” – yep, this was going to be EXACTLY 2:15 – how did I plan so well?  Just before the finish line, Trina nudged my shoulder and smiled.  I said, “Trina – you’re going to finish in 2:15, as I promised.”  She was nearly in tears. 

I pushed out the last 10th of the race and glanced at my watch again – 2:15 it was.   I turned around and High-Ten’ed Trina as we accepted our ridiculously HUGE race medals from strikingly attracted young men in their Military Class A’s. 

The crowds at the finish line were awful.  I found Jennie, Kris’ sister, and explained that we’d gotten separated at mile 6.  I went to look for Kris to cross the finish line, but I think she crossed as I was trying desperately to make my way through the crowds.  I waited what seemed an eternity and then went to find Claire.  I was disappointed that Kris and I didn’t connect, but I know I will see her at work, this week.  We can embrace, then.  She finished strong – and she did it!  I am so proud.

I would also like to give my friend, PLo, a shout out – he completed his first ½ marathon this weekend, too – in snowy, Boise, Idaho. 

And, my last comment of this blog has to be a HUGE Thank You to my former student, Adam.  Adam sent me a FB message on Friday night offering me his family’s club seats to the Cards/Rams game on Sunday afternoon.  I guess my letter of recommendation got him a sizable scholarship J -- YES!  Adam, Claire and I had a BLAST!  What a win – what a game!  Yay, Cards – at least you’ve won TWO games, this season!


No comments:

Post a Comment