Sunday, February 5, 2012

HOLY CRAP, MATT!

Sunday is usually run day – but the best laid plans were utterly destroyed by my good friend Matt’s trek up the Usery Mountain area.  On Friday, I mentioned (at work) that I would like to do a 20 mile bike ride followed by a 5K, just to see how my legs would feel after the mileage on the bike.  So, Matt graciously volunteered to play guide to my friend Jacqui and me on Sunday morning – 7am sharp. 

When I awakened this morning, I was excited about the ride.  It would be my first long’ish ride, ever.  I thought a 20 mile ride might take somewhere between an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to complete.  But, I evidently had NO idea what Matt had in store.  Our starting spot was at a Park in East Mesa – a good 30 miles east of my house.

Matt was already in the parking lot with his bike unloaded when I arrived ten minutes to 7am.  I got my bike out and put my gear on just as Jacqui arrived on her bike.  Astounded, we realized that she had already ridden a good 8-10 miles to get to the park from her house.  So, I think Matt and I were both worried about how she would feel on this ride.  He did mention it would be hill work, but Jacqui assured us that she really took it easy on the jaunt to the park. 

Before we headed out, Matt re-explained my gears to me (and Jacqui) – which was incredibly helpful.  He explained that I would probably spend much of this ride in a very low gear, if not the lowest – so to make sure I was definitely comfortable going between all of the gears.  I cannot tell you how much that helped on this ride.  Within the first few minutes of the ride – we headed up over the 202 overpass and I was already ½ way down my gears.  But, I had no idea what was to come. 

My Garmin beeped at me about ¾ of a mile into the ride to tell me that I had failed to start it.    I was disappointed, but knew there were still nearly 20 miles left.  We turned left onto Ellsworth and everything started to go up…and up…and up.  It was a gradual climb for ~5.5 miles.  Jacqui was quiet for a lot of these miles, trudging ahead of me learning to shift between higher and lower gears.  I was doing the same.  Just as my watch read 6.67 miles, Matt pulled off and stopped us from riding.  He told the two of us that this was the Come-to-Jesus moment – there would be several miles down and fast and then the same number of miles (3-3.5) back up…STEEP!  Jacqui and I were already sore and tired, but we agreed that we could do this.  Matt smiled, turned his bike around and flew down the hill.  We were all three flying.  The warmth I had felt climbing up to the top of this hill immediately went away and I was FREEZING cold all the way down to the bottom.

Note the elevation change
Matt arrived to the bottom first and then Jacqui and I followed.  I admit, it was the first time I was scared on the ride – there are just too many opportunities to make a mistake while going that fast.   But, I’ll be honest, that was the least of my concerns.  The whole time I was going down I was thinking “F***!  I have to go back up THIS?!  I cannot even explain it, but here’s a snapshot of my Garmin.  1200+ up, down and up again – but a much shorter distance on the way back – nearly 2 miles shorter, this time. 

Those 3+ miles were BRUTAL!  I kept my head down and chunked it out.  I worked out distance math equations each and every time I looked at my watch.  At one point it was so steep, I wondered if I could simply run faster than I was riding – so I looked at my Garmin.  9:18 pace.  OMG – I could absolutely run this as fast as I am chunking it out up the hill.  I knew I couldn’t stop – I couldn’t wait for anyone, I just needed to get back to the top and get this over with.  And, so I did. 

Just past the very top, I stopped and waited for Matt and Jacqui.  Matt was in front of me for the first ½ mile, but smartly decided to make sure Jacqui would be ok up the mountain, so he went back for her.  A few minutes later, I saw Matt approach, so I quickly grabbed my phone so I could see Jacqui begin the descent. 
Jacqui, just beginning descent!

Ready to head back down!

Our fearless leader (Jacqui and I both hope he wasn't bored).
The last 5-6 miles were uneventful except to say they were a lot easier than the previous 3-4.  Additionally, I completely forgot to turn my Garmin back on after I had stopped and waited – so I don’t have a total picture of the ride.  I’ll also admit, that for that first ½ mile ascent with Matt, I told him that the 5K run was NOT going to happen.  I just wanted to finish this without dying. 

The three of us arrived back in the park 20.5 miles later in 1:42 (Thanks, Matt, for having another device with our stats).    1:42!  I laughed at myself – never in a million years would I have guessed it would EVER take us THAT long to complete a mere 20 miles.  Holy crap!  That 1200 foot climb was unbelievable!  I will do this ride again – I have to.  It was so hard that I know I have a lot to work on!  

I just hope I can swim tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment