Sunday, January 29, 2012

Colorful Training!

Today, I am inspired. 

I began triathlon training 10 days ago with all kinds of trepidation.  Would I ever get used to the bike?  Would my body allow me to complete 1500 meters in the pool by May? I had no fear of the run – which, from everything I have read, tends to be the toughest part for first time triathlon’ers. 

Over the course of this past week, I swam 1500 hundred meters and then another 1200 meters in my gym’s Olympic sized pool.  I bought this contraption that hooks onto my swim goggles and stores my iPod shuffle without allowing water to get in – it has made a HUGE difference for me.  I get so bored in the pool (and intimidated by the serious swimmers around me), so music in the pool – GENIUS!

Yesterday, my Color Run team met around 8am for what was sure to be the absolute most bizarre 5K of our lives.  This is a new run for Phoenix – where every kilometer of the 5K you run through about 150 feet of paint – I kid you not.  The only requirement was that you had to wear a white shirt.  Hmmm…ok.  The Sassy Sprinters consisted of Kris, Anne, Claire, Amy, Sarah, Sarah(2), Kristi, Loretta and me.   

Kris and I wanted to run with as many of the gals as we could.  Kristi and Sarah(2) took us up on the offer and we allowed them to pace us.  The race was OVERLY crowded – no one needed to set a pace; we were moving like cattle through the first kilometer and even slower as we all squeezed through the first paint area.  After that Kristi, Kris and I were able to really start pacing each other – and the narrow passage ways made way for those who were choosing the run the whole thing. 

I didn’t wear a watch, nor an iPod (for fear of paint damage to either/both) – so I was really very hopeful one of the two of them would chat away with me around Tempe Town Lake.  Kris obliged as we ran with Kristi, who was very focused for the remainder of the race.  Through yellow, green, purple and pink – we ran.  Kris brought goggles – which I envied after the first paint stop.  The paint stations were gorgeous to see from afar – and less gorgeous as you made your way through them.  It was paint substance that had the consistency of powdered sugar.  We breathed it in, swallowed it and covered our contact lenses in the stuff.  It stuck everywhere.  Some maneuvered through it with mouths agape and the stuff even colored their teeth – bleh!  Not I!

Kristi crossing the finish line!
As we approached the last paint station I told Kris I wanted to run ahead so I could try to catch/film each of us crossing the finish line.  Turns out we were only able to catch Kristi because shortly after she crossed, the onslaught approached the finish line and there were hundreds crossing at a time.  The three of us watched as Sarah(2) came across, and then Loretta.  Shortly after Loretta came Anne and then Amy.  Claire and Sarah had planned to walk the race – and they had some of the best coloring, as a result.  We all finished – brightly colored!  It was the least stressful, most fun I have ever had on a run!  The crowds didn’t dampen a thing!  All you out-of-towners – look for the Color Run coming to your area. 
Kris and Me -- with a great shot of her goggles!

Sarah, Me and Claire -- finish line fun!

L-R: Amy, Anne, Me and Kristi -- friends since 9th grade!

Post-Run, Pre-Ride!
This morning, I went out for my 7.5 mile run, as usual, and the followed it up again with another ride in the company of Jim and Judy.  I feel very fortunate that we live in the same general neighborhood.  The two of them build my confidence each and every time we head out: Today, 12 miles.

So upon reflection – I am inspired.  I look forward to this new kind of training.  Moving from running to biking, I see why this is do-able.  I can absolutely switch gears and give the same amount of energy to something else – so I know I can do the upcoming Triathlons.  One of these days I will head to the gym and swim and then appropriately follow it up with a ride and a run – but I am not there, yet.  Soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment