Sunday, July 15, 2012

Another Tri in Flagstaff!


What an amazing weekend!  Right after the gang finished our last Triathlon in Tempe (in early May), Jim asked us if we’d be interested in doing another one in Flagstaff on July 15th.  Jacqui and I were the only other 2 on the ii Team willing to take it on.  It evidently took very little convincing (on Jacqui’s part) to rope in her husband – Aaron, her brother – Josh, their friend – Joe, and Aaron’s mom – Sally.

So, yesterday afternoon, after an incredibly rainy drive up the mountain, we all met at the Triathlon start to pick up our packets and get acquainted with the transitions.  We’re not sure whether it was due to the torrential downpours or what, but there was no pre-evening bike drop-off.  So, we picked up our packets and scoped out the area.  We immediately noticed that we’d be starting waist-deep in the water and the walk down the dock to the water was treacherous for bare-feet – both coming and going from the water (even though the water entry and exit were at two completely different docks).  Fortunately, seeing our sad faces, Judy volunteered to grab the flip flops of any tender-footed athlete at the start – I being one of them!

After listening the course schpiel from the Mountain Man producer himself, we all left and met for dinner .  The skies were ominous and each of us was nervous about the course and whether the rain would make it impossible to finish without injury.  And, as we ate our dinners, we watched the skies open again for what would be the hugest storm we had seen in decades.  Jim and I had become obsessed with checking the hourly weather report so see if there was a chance the rain might hold off the following morning – but everything yesterday evening said “Intermittent Storms” or “Scattered Showers” – with no hourly break.

I drove back to my hotel from dinner with serious trepidation.  I was unsure where I was and even more uncertain as to whether I would be able to see my way back to the hotel.  By the time I got into my room, I was shaking violently from the chill and wet clothes.  But, a hot shower calmed my nerves and warmed my bones nicely.  And, I slept like a baby.

Sean and Lyla coloring a sign for me!  I have the best friend EVER!  Thank you, Anne!

Anne sent these to me JUST before I went to bed.  

Isn't he just delicious!
Unlike our last two triathlons, there were no “designated” bike spots on the racks in the transition area, so it was dog-eat-dog – a complete free for all.  Aaron admitted to wanting a front spot, since the bike “in” and “out” were on the same side of the transition area.  It would definitely be an advantage.  So, we all agreed to get up super early and be to the start by 5am – even though the transition area would not be open for bikes until 5:30am.  Jac and I wanted to be together, as we always joke about wanting to do the event together.  However, we both know that Jac kicks my ass in the water and I am stronger than she on the bike.  Oddly enough, we both typically pull 9:20-30’s on our runs, so we’re pretty even there.

At 5am’ish, we all arrived and everyone had their bikes on one of the first 5 racks in the transition area.  We were very pleased with Aaron’s forethought.   Jac, Sally and I chose a rack a few rows behind the guys and Jim chose the closest rack to the in/out transition, but I felt that was a bit too intimidating for someone who isn’t a pro.  These triathletes can be super-competitive and I did not want to get in anyone’s way.  Jim is my new hero for braving the crazy people up front – or maybe he is one of the crazies and I just didn’t realize it until this morning (wink).

See, right up front with Jim and his bike before the race!
Sally, Joe and Josh were completing their first triathlons – so it was nice to have some truly excited and anxious people among us.  Jac and I became friends with a guy in our row who was new, as well.  Oddly enough, Josh had recently gotten into a battle with his dog and lost – well, his thumb lost; so he had stitches and swelling the likes of my forearm on one thumb.  It made for a very entertaining wet-suit application, for sure.  Opposable thumbs are what set us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom – Josh was a bit of a failure in that aspect.  However, to all of our humor, he’d wrapped a condom around the stitches and duck taped some gauze, as well.  He’d hoped no water would get in and further an infection.  It was skeevy, to say the least – you’re all lucky, I took no photos of the thumb.

Joe, Aaron and Josh Pre-Race

In front of the foggy lake, pre-race.  It was cold, too!
There were only 3 heats for the Sprint Triathlon (there was also a smaller “Super Sprint” with a heat or two), which meant that for the first time EVER Jacqui and I would have the chance to start together and maybe even finish together.  We’ve always joked that she kills me in the water and I kill her on the bike, so if we could figure it out – we should be able to finish the damn thing together because we run about the same pace and can carry each other, if necessary.
And, as we got in the water, I yelled at Jacqui to “rock it” and she smiled back!  The boys were all in the first heat (save Jim, who was behind Jac and Me – I guess being 60 they assume he’s not the badass that he is).

The horn sounded and off we went.  I was only about 100 meters into the swim, when I couldn’t get my breath.  I kept trying and trying, but it was no use, I would drown if I kept it up, so I had to simply relinquish my pride and keep my head out of the water for a bit while doing the breast-stroke.  I couldn’t even think about singing Happy Birthday to myself, this time, I was angry and frustrated.  But, then I realized – yes, of course, we were at 7000 feet of elevation and the altitude was killing me.  But, it wasn’t just me – everyone was dying in the water.  And, I mean everyone.  I feared for the poor kayakers because so many swimmers were latching on to them for dear life.  One gal at my side was crying.  I just had to try to focus and regain my strength and breath – and I did.  The last 500 meters were absolutely fine.  I lost a minute or two in the beginning, but nothing to stress over.

As I got out of the water, the pain of the concrete-rocky dock was awful, so I had to walk up the long ramp to the transition mat – that didn’t help my times much either.  But, I was out and ready to ride.

I coasted out of the transition area and immediately realized that all my training on the bike with Matt and Jim was paying off.  I was passing one after another – men and women.  My speeds were over 18 and often over 21 for much of the 12 miles.  The huge climbs and descents didn’t matter, I felt great and my legs were turning as if completely fresh.  I continued to pass bikers until I completed the 12 miles.  I saw Jim on the bike about 2 miles behind me, after I had turned to head back to transition, and was sure he’d eventually catch me, but I never saw him again.  I’d hoped he was proud of how far I’d come – with much of his guidance and assistance.

As I pulled into the transition area and ran my bike in, I could see Jacqui.  Holy crap, all that talk about her swim and my bike – it was real.  I stripped my bike shorts off while she put her running shoes on and off we went, together, up the long ramp out of transition and onto the run course.  Her brother, Josh, was out of the transition area just in front of us, too.  We had no idea how he’d be feeling on the run, but just before the ½ way mark, we caught up to him, gave him a nudge and a pat and continued on our run.  We were really having a good time, chatting about how great it was that we met in transition before the run.  It was absolute kismet.  About 1/10 of a mile passed the ½ way mark, we saw Jim, too!  We all smiled and rooted the other on!  Amazing – so many of us, so close!

Jac and I ran into the Finishers area strong!  We could see Aaron and Joe on the sidelines cheering us on.  We crossed together, smiling!  The announcer even commented about how happy “Meredith and Jacqui” appeared to be!  We were happy.  We completed it in 1:33:03 – our best time in a Sprint, yet.  We didn’t have time to see all of the times (swims, bikes, runs, transitions), so we’ll just have to wait until they’re posted tomorrow.

It was a great day.  Jim finished right behind us (remember, his heat started after ours, so he rocked this one, too)!  And, Josh was shortly behind Jim.  The rains even parted for the entirety of the triathlon – and the sun came out for the bike and run portions.  Naturally, it poured as we made our way back to our hotels to shower, but none of us cared – we’d all finished!

We did it, again!
I guess I have another couple of hours to bask in this strong finish (in high altitude) before the reality of my next Triathlon hits me – September 8th in San Diego (with the beautiful Erin and Justin)!  Training blogs to follow for sure…

No comments:

Post a Comment