Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas Week Means More Time for Training!


This week I got to thinking – what if I started writing my blog as it happened.  So, rather than a recollection of events, I could document my day to day activities right after they happened so I’d have fresh, real-time stories.

Ok, so I am a few days behind, but I will start with Christmas morning. 

Mom was in town beginning Saturday (shortly after the incredible 74 mile ride).  She is learning to be a lot more supportive of my athletic endeavors, even if she thinks I am a bit insane.  She commented several time about how “incredible” I am.  THAT makes a girl feel good, for sure. 

So, when I asked Mom if she’d be willing to drop me off on Christmas morning at the trail-head for the Desert Classic, she was happy to accommodate me.  As I left her in the parking lot and headed out and around the side of the mountain, I was faced with fairly swift winds (nothing like Vegas, but still pretty decent winds).  I knew it would make the run more difficult, but I welcomed the challenge. 

This was the 2nd time I attempted the entire Desert Classic and I was determined to run every morsel of it – even the tough incline at the very end.  I was also determined not to make a mile and a half mistake, again, this time.  I faced winds for the majority of the run, but I didn’t let it get me down.  I traversed that trail with confidence and energy I doubted I had.  Its really the beauty of the trail that keeps me moving.  There are steep inclines and sharp depressions, large and small rocks and desert brush that cannot be seen anywhere but on South Mountain.  The coolest (and scariest) part of my run happened at about the mid-point of the trail.  As I approached a fairly large wash, I spied a group of four coyotes.  They were clearly on the hunt and, strangely, I scared the crap of out them.  I took a moment to grab a few medium sized rocks and continued on the path.  One brave coyote found me super interesting as he hung back from the pack for several seconds – until I tossed one of the larger rocks in his direction.  Off he went – certain he would die if he got closer to me.  THAT was certainly an adrenalin rush.  I know, logically, they are more frightened of me than I am of them.  But, I might have watched just a few too many episodes of The Frozen Planet to really believe (if starving) they wouldn’t figure out a way to take my 5’3”, 135 lb body down.  Fortunately, I was spared – they really wanted the bunnies, not me!

It so happens that as I get within 3 miles of the end, I always face a number of mountain bikers, trail runners and hikers.  It’s a nice reminder that the end is near, but it also means my focus and enjoyment of being alone in nature is broken.  I do love passing other endurance athletes, though.  Not one wished me a Merry Holiday or anything – it seemed as if this particular morning everyone wanted the mountain to themselves.  I’ll admit, it was fine by me.  I was just pleased that most got out of my way as I came around each bend and up each steep wash.  11 miles later, I was standing at my front door feeling really accomplished.  I told mom it shouldn’t take me more than two hours – so stopping my watch at 1:52 only made me smile.

I had a nice, but non-momentous, 18 mile ride on Wednesday morning with Matt.  It had been 4 days since I had been in the saddle, so it felt great to be reminded that I am still a multi-sport athlete.

Thursday morning, after dropping mom off at the airport, I decided to head to the front side of South Mountain for a different kind of trail run.  Several months ago I had attempted the Javalina Trail to the RidgeLine and only made it ½ way up before needing to hike the rest.  So, I wanted to see if my skill level had improved at all. 

Unfamiliar with the nuances, turns and inclines of the Javalina Trail, I headed out with a bit of trepidation.  But, what I found about ½ a mile into the run was that I really loved the skip and the hop of the trail.  There are choices to make on the trail at every moment: large rocks to maneuver around, steep drops to jump down and boulders to climb.  I often feel like I am 10 years old and not 40, as I run.  The Javalina Trail reinforces that child-like spirit.  BUT, the Javalina is ALL up – and then as one reaches the top of the Javalina Trail there is a choice – the Mormon Loop or the Ridgeline (another swift climb that looks out over much of the north and south sides of the mountain).  I opted to attempt to run up the Ridgeline.  It was a bit of a failure, as there are simply sections that can only be hiked – I cannot imagine anyone being able to do much more than that. 

I met two women hiking at the very top of the RidgeLine.  They offered to get out of my way as I turned around – because “they were not running”.  I was grateful.  And, as I made my way down the Ridgeline and back down the Javalina Trail, I could feel my glutes and my quads.  They were on FIRE!  But, boy was it fun to jump from rock to rock along the trail on the way down.  My heart-rate was barely noticeable considering the prior 2+ miles up, so I was able to smell the rocks and the brush all the way back to the start of the trail.  4.25 miles later I knew I had worked hard.  My Garmin told me I had climbed over 500 feet between mile one and two.  (Now, that’s explains my crappy pace!  Wink)

Friday morning, I hit the pool.  I had intended to go to the Masters Class on Thursday night, but my quads were still sore from the morning trail run.  Turns out it was good that I did.  I got to the pool a few minutes before 5am and set all of my equipment down next to my chosen lane.  As I looked up, I saw my former Spin Instructor (Steve) heading into the Men’s Locker Room (there’s a cut through to the locker rooms via the pool).  He saw me and wandered over to where I was prepping to get in.  His comment, “You ready for lesson #2?” he asked me.  Some of you might remember that Steve saw me in the pool nearly a year ago and changed my life.  It was he who really taught me how to swim – or how to get my hips and butt up to make the most of my laps.  I have been grateful ever since. 

But, “YES!” I told him, emphatically, “I am more than ready.”  He then discussed stroke (elbow up to the ear, arm extended, pull by the side of the body – not crossing in front of the body).  He discussed breathing, “If you do it right, there will be a pocket of air ready for you as you turn your head.”  And, extension, “Reach to the end of the pool and then pull back.”  He was off to teach his 5:30am spin class, but before he left he said, “You look so good, by the way.  You have really become very fit and slender.  Tri-training looks great on you.”  I thanked him and vowed to practice what he’d just taught me. 

Every stroke was work for the first several hundred meters.  It was so much to remember: elbow up, breath in the pocket, arm out, pull back to the side of the body – repeat.  Oh, and keep your butt up!  By 500 meters, I felt like I was working more efficiently – I wasn’t tiring the way I had in the past.  And, I finished a mile 1:16 (min/sec) faster than I had ever done before.  I went on to complete another ¼ mile before getting out of the pool. 

Of course, I found a piece of paper and wrote a Thank You note to Steve – asking him to call me to let me know what days/times he gets in the pool.  Maybe I don’t need a Masters Class – maybe I just need Steve-Lessons.  (Would save me some $$, for sure.)  I walked into his spin class where Soundgarden was blaring on the stereo and handed him the note.  He gave me a thumbs up and continued teaching his class.  What a GREAT swim.  I have more confidence than ever!

I had arranged to meet Aaron, Josh and Matt for a 9am long ride on Saturday morning.  And, fortunately, everyone was incredibly prompt.  You have probably all already recognized this about me – but I am loathe to wait for anyone untimely.  The first time I rode with Aaron (who also happens to be the fabulous-Jacqui’s husband) was one of his first times out on a bike.  He nearly died climbing the big hill of the Usery Mountain Pass.  We have since done a couple of tri’s together and its amazing to see the difference in his cycling.  I met Josh at our tri in Flagstaff over the summer.  He’s Jacqui’s older brother – and while I schooled him in the Tri, it appears his strength and conditioning are at a completely different spot, today.

As we headed out the sticks of the Reservation (south of South Mountain), we were all really moving quickly.  Our pacing was in the low 20’s and we were trading off pulls every mile.  It makes the work relatively easy when there are 4 people to share the load, instead of 2.  Josh and Aaron, however, have not been through Matt’s Rigid Cycling Institute - and that was apparent within the first two miles of the ride.  Our pacing was off, our distance between riders was occasionally deathly close and, to be quite honest, I thought we were going a tad fast for the first 20 miles of a 50 mile ride.  (I figured out later that this had nothing to do with Josh and Aaron, but everything to do with putting three competitive men together on bikes.) 

I really enjoyed the additional company and I think all the guys did as well.  Josh got a flat about mid-way into the ride (which was nice, because I was dying at that point – as we were going uphill and into the wind).  Another slightly odd moment was when he pulled out a tube that had patches on it.  I mean, the guy rides a $4000 bike – and he pulls out a patched tube.  I, immediately, offered up a new tube and assisted with the change.  It felt good (for a change) that the flat wasn’t my own.  The new tires have really changed that aspect of my rides – thank you, Matt!!!!

The last 20-25 miles were better after I took some gel and water.  It was within the last two miles that we suffered some confusion at a major intersection as the light was changing.  I think Matt yelled “Slowing!” and I yelled “Going?” – so Aaron raced through the light and the remaining three of us slammed on our breaks.  Sadly, I wasn’t as in control as I thought, as I grinded to a halt, and toppled over in an attempt to get my goddamnedleftfoot out of the clip!  Sigh…in broad daylight this time.  Ego-Crush!  Matt made sure to make fun of my lousy skills until we pulled into the Park ‘n Ride 6 minutes later.   It was all in good fun. 

(Josh and Aaron continued on to do 55-60 miles, while Matt and I refrained since we have the century in 2 weeks.  I gathered later that Aaron got a flat coming back down Pecos Rd – and found that his patch jobs were not quite what he’d hoped, as he limped his bike back to the Park ‘n Ride where Josh had been waiting for 20 minutes.)

Josh and Aaron were still riding Pecos when this was taken...see Mom, new jacket!
I am hopeful the four of us will ride together again, soon.  It was incredibly enjoyable to have the extra bodies out there.  (Hint…Hint)

This morning, I woke a little after 5am thinking I may have consumed a little more beer than I should have the evening prior.  I had my standard cup of coffee and two advil and attempted to get my body ready for the 13 mile run I had planned. 

I told Anne, the day before, that I intended to be out the door at 7am and to her house around 9am.  The nice thing – Anne lives almost exactly 13 miles from me.  It’s a perfect way to spend 2 hours, if you ask me. 

I felt pretty fast as I started out – knowing I was pulling numbers under 9 minute miles.  I felt good and confident.  However, somewhere around mile 5 I began thinking about how tired my legs and body were.  I think I began dreaming of a Gu that would fix the world.  So, as standard, I took a Gu and some water around mile 7.5 in hopes that it would rectify my waning enthusiasm for the run.  And, as my watched buzzed 9 miles, I started to feel the energy come back to my body – and I knew the next 4 miles would be fine. 

And…they were.  As I came to the corner of Anne’s neighborhood, I glanced at my watch for the first time: 12.88 miles, 1:58 – so I put my legs in high gear.  I did not want a 2:01 – I needed a 2 hour 13 mile run or better.  My watched buzzed 13 miles: 2:00:28 and I was fine with it.  I knew that once I transmitted the data from my Garmin to the site, it would have an even better time – removing my stopped moments at stoplights and stopsigns.  For the record, 13 miles – 1:59:54.  I have a little to shave off to hit my sub-2 half marathon, but I know I won’t consume copious amounts of beer and eat cheese-dip and brats the night before.  I think it’s do-able.  Just have to stay the course. 

After the run, I was treated to breakfast with my favorite girl.  Makes it all worthwhile, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment