Monday, December 3, 2012

Ride, Runs and CRAZY winds!


It felt great to be back to my routine – swim, bike, run!  I did my traditional swim on Monday morning, rode Tuesday and Thursday mornings with Matt and did a couple of nice easy 5 mile runs on Wednesday and Friday mornings.  I say easy because I had a pretty big weekend planned.

You should all know that I am signed up for a Century on January 13th.  A Century is a 100 mile bike ride – and Matt thinks I can handle it.  (That has yet to be determined.)  So, once the Philly Marathon was behind me, I knew I needed to focus my hard, long efforts on the bike each weekend, instead of the run.  Orrrr, I mean, I promised Matt I would do that.

So, when I sent the email to Matt, a week or so ago, asking if we could do our long ride on Saturday (instead of Sunday) because I was heading to Vegas on Saturday to run the Vegas ½ Marathon on Sunday night, his response was something like, “YOU’RE NOT IN MARATHON TRAINING, ANYMORE!”  (Head hanging low…)  But he was nice enough to agree to accommodate my departure time and date. 

At 5am on Saturday morning I rose and headed to Matt’s for a 5:30am start time.  He’d planned a 50+ mile ride for us.  I told the girls to meet at my house at 10:30am – plenty of time to finish a long ride, get showered and head to Vegas. 

Matt’s route included 16-18 miles on hilly Pecos Road and then the road to Maricopa and back – which is super flat, but often has some tough winds, as well.  It was pitch black for the first hour of the ride – most of Pecos Road.  I couldn’t see anything on my bike computer so I was relying on Matt to pace us that whole time.  Around mile 10, I caught the street light and viewed my stats – only to realize that my bike computer never started.  (grumble)  Naturally, I made a comment out loud to Matt about it and his snarky response was something like, “not to worry; we haven’t been moving very fast.”  Of course, I thought I was putting in a decent effort – so to hear that had me worried for the rest of the ride. 

I wear my Garmin 910XT, now, but manipulating the bike, my gloves and my watch to click the backlit button, is FAR too much work in the dark – so it wasn’t until nearly 7am that I was able to enjoy the stats on my watch.  I did manage to start my bike computer – doing the math in my head every mile to include the 9.5 miles before I had started the dang thing. 

As we headed out the long stretch to Maricopa we could both feel the decent head-winds.  We’d endured far worse on past rides, but knowing we had over 50 miles to push out meant that our average speed was going to be pretty low.  Matt and I shared the load on the way out to Maricopa – keeping right around an 18-19 mile per hour pace.  Considering the headwinds, neither of us were concerned.   I was really grateful for Matt’s endurance on the ride out there – he really saved my legs for the remaining 18 miles back to Phoenix.   When I say we shared the load – I mean, Matt would carry me for 3-4 miles and I would provide relief for him for 2-2.5 miles.  Not exactly fair, but he’s a more experienced and confident cyclist – and he simply will never again allow me to move ahead of him at his own game.  I can see that!

Once in Maricopa, we’d stopped so Matt could pee (the guy’s got a bladder the size of an acorn, I swear) and we could both take some supplements.  The stop wasn’t long and we were both still feeling pretty strong as we headed back out on the Maricopa Road to head back to Phoenix.  Immediately, we saw the benefits of the tailwinds – as our 18-19 mile per hour pace, was subsumed by 23-25 mph pace (with Matt at the lead).  However, after only a couple of short miles, I felt like I wasn’t able to keep up and simply could not understand until I realize my rear tire was getting flatter and flatter, rapidly.  “Maaaaaatt!” I yelled, as he turned around to see I was stopped.  Aghast, he said, “Same EXACT spot at last time!”  And, so it was.  Fortunately, the tube change never takes very long when I have Matt at my side, so we were headed out in no time – back to maintaining 23-25 mph speeds.  After a few miles, Matt signaled me to take the lead, and as I past his side I said, “You know I can’t pull those numbers, right?”  He gave me a reassuring smile and said, “No worries, Mer.”  I managed a couple of miles before asking Matt for some relief and he was good about it.  I was able to carry us another couple of miles before the end of the Maricopa Road,  and our last few miles.  It’s at that point that I always anticipate that we’ll be able to lay off a bit.  But, not this time.  As we hit mile 47 of our ride, Matt said, “Hey, our AVS is 18.2, right now, let’s keep it over 18 for the remainder of the ride.”  I gave him the stink-eye and may have even flipped him off, but I agreed.  I stayed alongside him for a mile or so, before realizing he really meant, “I would like to pull a few more miles at 19-20 so hang on!” I simply dropped in behind him and drafted for most of the last few miles. 
We averaged an 18.1 – and rode a total of 53 miles.  Not too shabby!  And, I wasn’t completely wasted at the end, for a change. 

I have decided I like Matt's helmet -- looks like a  a Mario character, no?
As we approached his house, we both had places to be.  It was nearing 9am and I wanted to make a pit-stop at US Egg to say hello to my dear friend and former running partner, Cat, who was in town for a couple of days.  She’d mentioned that she’d be there for breakfast around 9am, so I rushed off to see her and have a quick cup of coffee.  I am only sad I didn’t think to take a quick picture.  She a beautiful woman and I love her (and miss her) so so so much!
Like clockwork, I showered and got ready for the gals’ arrival – and off we went to Vegas at 10:30am, as scheduled.  Anne, Amy, Kris and I piled into my little Nissan Versa with a plan to meet Loretta in Vegas – who decided to fly.

The ride was pretty uneventful and 5 hours later we saw the skyline of Vegas.  The hour time difference worked in our favor, as the Expo was open until 9pm and it was a requirement that we pick up our packets on Saturday, even though the Marathon didn’t start until Sunday evening. 

Kris, Anne, Amy, Loretta and Me
After our shenanigans at the Expo, the 5 of us hit the strip to find a dinner spot and some shops.  We also met up with Anne’s friend, Dave, from California, after dinner.  The last time I saw Dave was at the finish line of the San Diego ½ -- where I’d spend our introduction-time vomiting and shivering.  I was hopeful I would make a MUCH better 2nd impression. 

Dave took this nice shot of Anne and Me on the strip!
Sunday we all relaxed and prepared for the 4:30pm start.  Every one of us was nervous about the evening start.  What do we eat?  When do we eat?  How will we feel?  Should we take a nap?  And, as we all stepped outside earlier in the day we could see and feel the strong winds.  I watched the weather that afternoon as the anchor described the “possible gusts up to 60 mph at times, with an average speed of 30-35 until 10pm.”  WHAT?!!!! 

It was ridiculous.  The temps were fine – right around 65 degrees – but the winds were out of control.  I had never seen anything like it on a race day.  Oh well – we were going to have to “Harden the F*&# Up!” 

Look at that sky with the corrals weaving in the foreground!
Anne, her friend Dave (and his buddy, Denny) were all decked out in Elvis costumes – but due to the HUGE crowds (35,000 runners) I didn’t see them until after we’d finished.  Loretta, Kris and I headed to the start line together, lamenting the winds and enjoying the craziness of a Vegas Marathon.  There were crazy people in costume everywhere! 

At the start (early) -- see Loretta's hair flying!
There were 57 corrals of runners – I was in corral 14 with an anticipated finish time of 2:05.  As we all stood in our corrals the winds worried each and every one of us.  Bibs were flying, costumes were coming apart and sand was getting in our eyes.  It was absolutely unbelievable.  The race started in waves and within about 15 minutes, corral 14 was at the starting line, heading face first into the wind. 

As the announcer dismissed our corral across the start, we could all feel the strain as we headed forward.  At the one mile marker, though, we turned around to go the opposite direction up the strip from the south end.  It was a welcome relief – as I had actually glanced at my Garmin at the one mile mark to see what kind of damage that horrendous first mile had done: 9:36.  YUCK, I thought!  I knew I needed 9:07’s to hit a sub-2, so I immediately resolved that this would not be the race to do it.  Not with these winds.  However, with the wind at my back I was hopeful it might help move me along.  Unfortunately, with the buildings and the passages, the winds felt like they were coming from every direction.  In fact, occasionally when I picked up my foot while running, it would smack up against my other ankle because the cross winds were so strong.  I was simply amazed. 

As we hit the 4 mile marker, I had improved my pace enormously, and felt like I still had a chance.  We past the marathon finish line coming from the opposite direction – which is always a nice treat.  I could see the Mirage and Ceasar’s Palace – so now I had a lighted marker for the finish.  How COOL! 

Fighting the crazy winds, I was thirsty for most of the run – it was simply dehydrating to be out there in all the wind.  Many were walking within the first several miles, simply unwilling to fight the craziness of it.  Tables of water had been toppled and pushed around – and the mile markers and clocks had blown over and crashed to the ground.  I had never been so happy to have a Garmin with a back-light. 

Between miles 8-9, we turned back head first into the winds and you could watch as the runners became walker after walker.  It was sad.  I passed so many runners with the 2:00 Pace Bibs on their backs.  I’d occasionally tap them and say, “If you start back up, you might get close.”  But, most just gave up – it was hard.  I trudged through, trying to keep my head down, ignoring the misery around me.  Occasionally, I’d pass a guy or gal in a crazy Elvis costume or some drag-like-leotard which perked up my spirits, but then I would just find my focus-point and move forward.  I, honestly, had never in my life, passed so many runners in the last 2-3 miles.  It was like they were standing still.  I credit a lot of my training on the bike for my mental fortitude in those last few miles, because they hurt.  My heart-rate was so out of control I actually feared for a bit that I might pass out if I stopped.  I was simply working so hard. 

As my watched beeped 12 miles, I looked up and could see the Mirage and Ceasar’s Palace in the distance.  They were a welcome sight, for sure.  I don’t even remember the last mile save the ground in front of me.  My contact lenses were shot and dripping tears from all of the dust and sand – so all I could do was look down.  My bib tore holes in my shirt from fighting so hard with the wind, but I finished, damn it: 2:02:30!  It would have been my sub-2 – but the conditions were all wrong. 

After the race, I met up with Dave and Denny at the Flamingo Bar and waited for the rest of the team to finish.  Kris finished in 2:30, then Loretta, then Anne with a 2:51 and Amy rounded us all out just after the 3 hour mark.  It was a wonderful finishers’ reunion. 

Denny (tall one) and Dave

Her costume was so great - I had to give you a full shot!
By 10pm we were all good and sauced – headed back to our hotels to clean up and then out again for a fun night on the town.  No worries – we were all in bed by 1am.  Some Vegas partiers we were, eh?

Anne made me the BA shirt... sorry turn your PC sideways for a better shot!
Loretta and Amy took flights out of Vegas, while Anne, Kris and I drove back to Phoenix.  All I can say is – what an insane couple of days.  I don’t know how I pushed out 53 miles on the bike and then that tough ½ marathon, but I know I will sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment