Sunday, September 18, 2011

Great friends make for great runs!

Hello world!  I’ve been on a high most of the week from Monday’s 20 mile run, so facing 12 today, was not something I thought about much.  I knew I could do it.  We’re aware that the St. Louis route is very hilly, so I have been trying to incorporate some tougher hills into these short-long runs.  I planned these 12 miles to have several hills – some miles long, and some a few tenths up and then down. 

The evening prior, my friend, Ron (also running the STL Marathon) called and asked if I’d consider doing the 12 miles together.  Having already planned for the hills, I asked Ron if he’d simply meet me at my place at 530am.  With enthusiasm, he agreed!

So, Ron was a little late, but we quickly staged our water and Gu and headed out into the Ahwatukee foothills just before 6am.  The temps were in the mid-high 70’s and it felt amazing!  Ron told me he’s really never run and talked, so I was rather curious to see how he’d fair chatting away for a couple of hours.  Pulling 10:20’s for the first several miles, Ron was animated and chatty.  It’s like the first 7 miles were over as quickly as they started.  I had forgotten just how much easier it is to pull a couple hours of running when you have a good friend at your side.  I felt fine. 

We hit the water and Gu stop at mile 7.5 and both admitted to feeling great – no issues.  The hardest hills were over, so it was simply about grinding out the next 5 miles until the end.  We hit one last hill between miles 9-11 and my heart rate was high enough that I asked to walk for a minute.  But then we finished strong.  In fact, I offered to stop and walk when we hit our goal, but Ron said “Aw, come on, we can make it to the light.”  He was absolutely right – 12.25 miles later we were done. 

These 12 felt good.  The temps were nice, the company was great and the miles just flew by.  I don’t think either of us really even noticed the foot pounding until mile 10 or so.  This is a very good sign for the marathon.  The two of us were good pacers and solid running partners.  Great suggestion, Ron!

(Ron would not pose for a post-run photo – so, our shoes are the best you’ll get, this week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment