Sunday, September 25, 2011

An Ode to Sarah and Anne...

18 miles – that was the plan for this morning, my second to last long run before the marathon.  I laid my head on my pillow, last night, thinking about how much I would like to sleep in on Sunday, but also aware that my 18 miles were a mere 7.5 hours away.  It seemed like moments after I laid down that my alarm went off and it was Sunday. 

Temps were higher this weekend, than last, but I will take 82 degrees over 90+ any day!  I was also pretty sure that as I made my way from Phoenix, through Tempe and into Chandler that the temps would get a little cooler – and it did.

This was a run I have conquered many times over the past several years of marathon training.  I knew all of my problem spots – all of the moments I would be head first into the Arizona sun, all of the moments I would be crossing over the highway.  The greatest parts of this run are the ones that include seeing Anne with her wet-wipes, water and a smile.  Anne is nearly 8 months pregnant at this point, and the thought of her meeting me with her swollen this and swollen that, simply stresses me out.  But, she is amazing and insistent that she be able to assist.  The only thing I asked of her was that she remain in her car and I would find her – this way her tiny little swollen legs and feet could rest.

The first 7.5 miles were pretty easy.  Anne was cheery and helpful, handing me water, Gu and whatnot when I found her.  Somewhere around mile 10 I was heading face first into the sun and really unhappy about it.  The temps had begun to climb; I was just under two hours of running and I was becoming exhausted.  I pushed myself through mile 11.5 when I knew I needed a boost.  I took another Gu and walked for a bit.  As I took my walking break, I grabbed my cell to let Anne know I might be a little late to our mile 13.5 meeting spot.  I opened my messages and there, among the 3 new messages was one from my friend, Sarah.  It read “U are amazing!  Only truly amazing women can run 18 miles.  You WILL succeed.  I am so proud to know you.”  I burst into tears and started running.  How did she know I needed that – how would anyone know?  In fact, that is the first text message I have ever received from Sarah.  And, there it was … waiting for me to have a doubtful moment in the middle of the 18.  I cannot express my gratitude.  Sometimes you need a reason not to quit.

To my additional surprise, Anne brought her fantabulously adorable 16 month old son, husband and dog to our next meeting spot.  I took a couple of extra minutes rest to enjoy watching little Sean play in the park.  I also filled my Camelbak with water from the park’s water fountain (which turned out to be a wise choice by mile 17). 

The last several miles were not nearly as awful as I had anticipated.  I only walked for a couple minutes here and there.  I certainly impressed myself with my willingness to trudge through.  I hit mile 18 and knew I was still nearly a mile from Anne’s house, so I pushed myself through another half mile, before walking the rest to her house. 

As Anne and I were leaving for breakfast, we pulled out of her street and there RIGHT in front of us was Ron finishing his long run.  He didn’t see us and maybe it was for the best – those last few miles are not enjoyable ones.  I knew where his brain was – he needed to stay focused.  He can simply read about it, here.  :)

Last long run – 21 miles, next weekend.  28 days ‘til the marathon.  

Thanks, Sarah and Anne – you both inspire me, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment