Monday, January 16, 2012

Marathon #6 - done!

Sixteen hours ago I completed my 6th marathon.  I was telling Kris on Friday en route to the Marathon Expo that I had a hard time calling myself a marathoner until I had a few under my belt – but I think six allows me to say I do it and its mine.

I feel ok, this morning.  Not great, but ok – the muscles in my lower back and my upper quads may take a few days to recover, but for the most part, I am still intact.

I awakened yesterday morning realizing I had, indeed, slept the night – 8 hours.  This is a BIG deal for a marathoner – we find the smallest excuse for a bad run.  Lack of sleep is the #1 excuse most of us use.  The truth is – lack of sleep is the #1 cause of a crappy run.  So, knowing I had 8 hours made everything start “right”. 

I met Kris and her brother in law, Joe, at the starting line around 6:30am.  Correction – I met Kris and her brother in law Joe in the port-a-potty line at 6:30am.  Kris has run enough races with me now (or read enough of my race blogs) to know that I begin all runs getting in and out of the line for the port-a-potty. 

Once it became time to line up in our corrals – the three of us took our spots.  The start time of the marathon has always been 7:30am.  I have never heard of a marathon starting late or having issues – so at 7:15am, the three of us stood anxiously in Corral 6 (with the non-competitive, slower runners).   At 7:25am an announcement was made – “the marathon will be delayed 15 minutes.” And then, 15 minutes later, “the marathon will be delayed another 15 minutes.”  The truth is, most of us time our port-a-potty trips with the start – so this was NOT welcome news.  In addition, I knew I might catch the end of the B52’s if I managed to eek out another 5 hour marathon, but with the 30 minute delay, I had no reason to hurry.  There was NO chance I could pull out a 4:25 marathon (not on my best day).  Then I began to worry about all the people I hoped would be waiting for me – they would wonder if I quit, or had passed them.  This was just going to be the worst start to a marathon, ever!  I tried to remain upbeat, but I was shivering and wasting energy – and I knew I needed to stay positive for Kris.  She was running her first and I was super excited for her.

We crossed the starting line shortly after 8am.  Kris and I wanted to see if we could hang together and motivate one another, this time.  But, as luck would have it – Kris got a stitch and needed to work it out just before the 2 mile marker.  I assumed she and I would catch one another by mile 9 – what with water stops and the momentary walk through a water station. 

But, mile 9 came and went.  I was pleased with my first few miles, but distracted by the fact that Kris was behind me.  I desperately wanted her to catch up to me.  I knew it was irrational to think she might – but I really was hopeful.  By mile 11, I was already having doubts.  My toes had been blistering since mile 3 (naturally, I took my running store’s advice months ago and switch from Wright socks to their RoadRunners brand – HUGE mistake).  I could feel several blisters and was just hoping nothing would pop on the run.  As I crested Camelbak Road, thinking about how I still had 2.5 hours left, I could see an entire group of women and children piled on the side of the narrow road.  I thought nothing of it until I realized that the pack of people were photographing me – and then it dawned on me – ANNE!  Of course, she and Amy and her cousins and the babies would be at mile 12.  Anne always instinctively knew where I would need some assistance. 

I was elated.  To top it off – she immediately commenced her Sherpa-ness.  “I have wet wipes, dry wipes, tissues, chapstick and water – what do you need?”  I just wanted to kiss the babies!  I hugged everyone and moments after wiping, drinking and chap-sticking, I was on my way to mile 13.  THAT was exactly what I needed at mile 12 – I don’t even know if any of them know the doubt that was beginning to surface.  I was just fine after that.

As we descended to mile 13 (yes, descended), I could see my friend, Brent, smiling in the distance.  I knew he’d catch me at the 19 mile marker, too, so I gave him a quick hug and continued on my way.  Seeing Anne and the gang really made me smile – I was on cloud 9 for miles. 

By mile 14, I was in a groove – miles 13-19 repeat and the turn-around was at mile 16.  I was in the midst of mile 14 when a familiar face maneuvered through the runners like Frogger – Lora.  She had water and a smile.  I told her to look for Kris, because I had lost her a couple hours prior and wanted to know she was ok.  I knew I would be seeing Lora again at mile 17 – so off I went, hopeful when I returned she would have news about Kris. 

But the turn-around came, and I began to watch for Kris – because now I could see 3 miles of runners behind me.  At mile 16 1/2, there was Sue on her bike.  I told her I hadn’t seen Kris and that she could catch up with me in the next several miles, but I needed to her to find Kris, so I would stop worrying.  Off she went.  I hit mile 17 and out popped Lora again – “any sighting of Kris?” I asked her.  She told me not to worry – that she’d continue to watch for her.  But, now I was genuinely worried – if Lora hadn’t seen her – she might be as much as 3-4 miles behind me.  All this time, I thought she might be steps behind me – instead, I realized something had happened.  This was not like Kris.  But, I kissed and hugged Lora goodbye and carried on to mile 19 where I knew I would pick up Brent and Thuy. 

About ½ a mile before the mile 19 marker, I could see Kris running toward me – having just passed the mile 14 mark.  I cannot remember being so relieved in my life.  She was doing it – she was still in it!  She told me she felt crappy, got a migraine, stitches continued and I think she said she started her period – but all I cared about was that she was there, in the flesh.  I was thrilled!  I hugged her hard and told her I would see her at the end. 

I was dying for some genuine walk time by the time I saw Brent and Thuy at mile 19, but needed to try to keep going.  They were a HUGE boost to my enthusiasm and Thuy started in with hysterical stories as soon as she began running with me.  “I have to pee,” she announced loudly.  All I could do was laugh.  As we moved to the mile 20 marker, I swear I was seeing the “Informed Improvement” icon from my HLC Committee work in the distance.  Holy crap, I was!  There, all smiles, was Jacqui – laughing and smiling.  The sign was fantastic and soooo visible.  I saw it before I saw her.  It was perfect!  I still didn’t really need to stop and walk, but I gave her as much time as my body could muster, told her I loved her and carried on.  Only 6.2 miles left and I really began to feel the love. 

Thuy and Brent were chatting and chatting away.  I was listening as best I could, trying to stay focused without dropping back to walking.  I began negotiating with myself – “I will allow myself to walk when I see Phill and Autumn at mile 22.”  I kept pushing and pushing.  My watch told me I would have a sub-5 hour marathon, but I no longer cared.  I was going to finish another one of these!

Phill and Autumn were a welcome sight.  Sue rode her bike ahead and let them know I was on my way.  I could see my walking opportunity approaching and I was going to relish it.  Phill handed me water and Autumn kept telling me how impressed she was with me.  Last year they saw me a little less of a wreck (at mile 14).  Mile 22 looks a little different than 14.  I handed back the water and off we went – through the ghetto of Phoenix where I used to rent Phill and Autumn’s condo.  It was actually a welcome memory – mostly because I was pleased none of us lived there anymore. 

Thuy texted Dennis to let him know we were on our way to him, next.  But, I was distracted by the pain in my feet, my legs and my back.  I was walking, running, walking, shuffling and just wanting to finish.  Mile 23-24 was all downhill!  We hit the mile 24 marker and there was Dennis.  He was smiling and knew I just wanted it all over.  I told him I would see him at the finish line and off he went.

The last couple of miles were a blur.  Thuy and Brent were asked to get out of the runners line around mile 25.8 – but Brent kept yelling for people to root me on.  He was amazing – “doesn’t Meredith look great.”  Everyone was yelling my name.  It had been going on for hours and it was almost over.  As I rounded mile 26 – I could see the finish line.  And, just before I crossed, on my right, was Ron.  I became emotional for the first time crossing the finish line.  Ron is like a brother.  I had flashbacks of the marathon we had just completed 2-3 months prior in St. Louis.  I pushed and ran and smiled.  I had done it again.  Those last few miles weren’t pretty – and they get me every time.  Those are the ones I have to work on – but I did it and no one can take it from me. 

(Kris finished about 50 minutes later – through stomach aches, cramps, headaches and more.  She did it and not many people can say that.)

So, there it is.  Some of you have read all six of my marathon stories.  This blog began 5 years ago when I completed my first marathon.  I knew no other way of saying thank you to all of the amazing people who came out to support and help me through.  Two of you have been there for almost all of them – Dennis and Sue.  (St. Louis doesn’t count.)  Anne has helped me through the last 2, Phill and Autumn - the last 2, Lora (well, she ran and supported – so, 2), Ron – we’ll say 3, since he ran one with me, Thuy – 2, David - 2, as well!  Thank you all for remembering how hard it is and knowing just how much I needed you.  Thank you to Brent and Amy and Jacqui who came out to support me for the first time, today.  I am so grateful to all of you!

Now, I must eat and rest.  I am far better at the eating part than the resting part.  Triathlon training begins next week, on to a new adventure.

(I really only have a few pictures since I didn’t bring my phone with me.   May have more by next week.)


2 comments:

  1. Congrats Mer! I am always amazed at people who can run a marathon and you've done it SIX time! Enjoy some must deserved rest time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erica! It means so much that anyone endures my blog. Hugs - and I appreciate all of the support you have always given me!

    ReplyDelete