Sunday, March 25, 2012

Today I realized I really AM crazy!

Gripping the handlebars of my road bike for over four hours has profoundly affected my ability to type – so I am not entirely sure how much blogging I am going to make it through, today. 

That being said, my really great friend, Matt, texted me on Wednesday of this week to ask if I might be interested in doing a 57 mile ride with him, this weekend.  Always up for a classically-retarded challenge, I jumped at the chance.  I mean, didn’t we just do 40 miles together a couple of weeks ago? 

I slept poorly, probably in anticipation of the ride, but I was excited to get out of bed when my alarm went off.  I met Matt at his house at 615am and we headed out, immediately.  Matt had prepared me mentally for the ride – letting me know that it would be fairly flat for the first 20 miles or so, and then we’d start hitting some long hills. 

When we began, Matt and I agreed that he would take the lead the majority of the time and allow me to let him recover here and there.  So, for the first 10 miles or so, Matt led and I drafted.  It was quite a clip for me and when he signaled for me to take the lead, I took advantage of the opportunity.  What I quickly realized was that I was really struggling to keep the same pace as Matt.  I only stuck it out for about a mile and half before Matt took over again.  Now, my quads were inflamed and I had to work hard to stay on Matt’s wheel.  Five or six miles later, Matt gave me the signal again, and I jumped out front.  This was the point that I knew 60 miles at this pace would be absolutely impossible.  I was having serious doubts and a couple miles later Matt took over, again.  We only managed about a half mile before I begged Matt to lessen the pace.  I was really working hard to stay close and I was failing.  Disappointed in myself, Matt was VERY accommodating explaining that I had done very well and that communication was key to our success as a team on this ride. 

After a short break for some water and Gu, we started on our ride through the hills.  This was where my doubts really began, but Matt was great about keeping the pace at a more reasonable rate.  He’d check in with me from time to time just to make sure my head was in the right place.  (My years of acting experience came in handy as I joked and made light of my severely sore quads.)  One of my favorite things about Matt is that he’s absolutely hysterical – and even better than that, he thinks I am just as funny. 

As we rounded the entrance to South Mountain Park, I struggled to get up the hills.  Matt explained the path ahead and told me that it was going to be hard and hilly.  I wanted to vomit – at this point we were only at mile 33 and all I could think about was the finish line.  I allowed Matt to take the hills of the park at his own pace – I knew at some point he’d double back and find me.  I was also a little embarrassed by my weak legs and diminishing spirit.  Not to mention, rider after rider passed me in the park.  There was a point where I realized I was simply going down and down and down – which meant I would have to go right back up.  And, I admit it – I turned around and waited in a common meeting spot for Matt to pass. 

As we made our way out of the park, Matt really made no mention of the 5 miles he did without me.  I told him about a nice woman I’d met while waiting for him, as we exited the park.  The next 10 plus miles would take us home.  We didn’t say much and I vowed to stay on his wheel, this time.  I think we were both too wasted at that point to do anything but focus on the road ahead. 

We were passed by a couple of riders who we met at the light about 1/8th of a mile later.  One of them asked if I was having a good day – all I could say was, “I think I was about 40 miles ago.” 

As we finished the ride at Matt’s house, I looked at my watch – 4 hours and 17 minutes.  I can honestly say it was as difficult as completing a marathon.  I cannot imagine completing a century any time soon.  I definitely need to become a better rider.  I would be lying if I didn’t say I wanted to do better, but I wasn’t displeased with the ride – or with my effort.  I absolutely left everything I had on the streets of Phoenix, today. 
Matt and me, post-55 mile ride.  See, I can still fake a smile!
Now – could someone please explain why my hands feel like those of a quadriplegic?  

No comments:

Post a Comment