Sunday, April 1, 2012

A week of downs and ups!


I sit here on Sunday night trying to muster up the energy to even write my blog, but I guess I feel a sense of obligation.

I’ve had a relatively disappointing week of training.  I think it was mostly due to over- exhaustion.  After last Sunday’s 55 mile ride, I didn’t sleep well or much and then attempted much more than I probably should have.  I wish, sometimes, I would simply take my own advice and lay off when I know I need it.

Tuesday, my great friend, Brent, and I went for a 10 mile run – only for me to utterly crap out at mile 7.5 and opt to go home.  I was simply too tired to continue.  I could not remember the last time I had ever failed to complete a run I started.  It had been a while.  I noticed, somewhere around mile 5, that we were barely pulling ten minute miles and I think it (mentally) got the better of me.  I had done this run the week prior and pulled 9:30’s.  I was going nowhere and Brent was gracious enough to allow me to stop.

Wednesday I got up for spin with Steve and knew I probably should have rested then, too.  I made it through his class, but I think my effort was not what it should have been.  Steve complimented me on my form a couple of times and reminded me to lay-off the quads a couple of times, too.  I must have looked as exhausted as I felt.

Thursday morning, I got up super early to get in a 40 minute swim before hopping a flight for Chicago for the HLC Conference with my favorite team at MCC.  My swim was actually really amazing – 18:35 for the first 750 meters: 39:40 at the 1500 mark.  I was done and pleased with my effort.  It was the first sign I might not be as wrecked as I was earlier in the week.  The ride on Sunday really did a number on my body.  I guess at 39 I have to know the warning signs.

Redemption came this weekend, though.  On Saturday, as always, members of my HLC Team and I headed out for a run on Saturday morning along the lake.  It was quite overcast, extremely windy and 37 degrees.  (I failed to remember to bring leggings…brrrr!)  Jim, Brian and I took off around 630am so that we would be ready to present at 8:30am.  Jim told us he runs around a 12 minute mile, so I mentioned to Brian on the way out that we might need to keep it easy.  However – we talked and ran and Jim had NO problem keeping a sub ten pace for 5+ miles.  I was impressed.  
The skyline behind Brian and me at the midpoint of the run.
After our run and presentation, the whole team went out to enjoy the city.  We ate a phenomenal breakfast at a place called the Wildberry Café and walked around downtown.  Although it was far colder that any of us had hoped, we still all managed to have a wonderful time.
The Team: Tim, Matt, Jim, Brian, Jacqui and Roger.  (Craig and I are up front - ready to present)
Tim, Craig, Me and Jacqui -- downtown Chicago
This morning, Matt, Jim, Jacqui and I went out for another run.  This time I knew I wanted to take advantage of the fact that Matt would be running with us.  He runs sub eight minute miles a lot of the time and I was excited to really try to push myself.  I’ll admit, I had little regard for Jim, this time, thinking he knows the route, he’ll keep up or meet us.  Boy did everyone impress!  Whether any of us want to believe it – it had everything to do with our competitive nature and Matt’s desire not to allow any one of us to out run him.  
Jacqui, Matt and Jim at the midpoint looking out onto the lake.
Jacqui, Mer and Jim -- same spot
We pulled just under 9:30’s for the first mile and a half and then kicked it up a notch to 9’s for the 2nd into 3rd mile.  As we rounded the start of the pier, I figured I would take the lead – pulling sub 9’s and feeling very strong.  Matt was having NOTHING to do with it and pulled ahead of me, forcing all of us into 8:45’s for nearly a mile.  The air was incredibly humid and I was soaked from it – but really enjoying the force of the team.  What was really astounding…Jim!  Jim (Mr-I-run-12-minute-miles) held on for dear life and ran along with the group.  

Jacqui and I took the high route along the lake on the way back, still pulling 9:15’s and 9’s and allowed Jim and Matt to work together (without us) – or they simply didn’t notice that we had peeled off.  From what I understand, Jim hung in for the whole run with Matt.  He continues to amaze me at 60 years of age.

5.5 miles in 51:33.  And, at the last moment, Matt and I challenged each other up the 4-5 flights of stairs back to street level.  He kicked my ass, of course – but it was worth it.  I felt strong and happy.  I need the push sometimes.  I know the pain is temporary – but more than anything I am so happy I have this team of amazing people at my side for so much of my personal and work life!

No comments:

Post a Comment