Sunday, May 20, 2012

Barcelona...

I have so much to say and a mere 50 minutes to tell the tale. Needless to say, that's nowhere near enough time to chunk out this blog. First, allow me to say that all of my commands on the blog are in Spanish - and as good as my Spanish is, I have no idea if the font or spacing will be correct in this issue. Its likely to just be a large wall of words when done. So please forgive the inconsistency, if there is one. Also, it appears as if it's not going to catch any typos (due in large part to the language issue), so this is simply another opportunity for me to beg forgiveness. This trip began early on Tuesday morning. I had been feverishly packing on Monday night, and trying to get my wits about me, when a text came through from Matt asking what time I was planning to run before hopping on the plane for NYC. "6 miles, 5am!" I responded. And, as the best of friends tend to do when they know they're not going to see you for another 10+ days... They show up at 445am with a speedy 6 mile send off. The thing I love most about my workouts with Matt, as I am sure he knows, is that he pushes me to go harder and faster. I PR'ed that Tueday morning by 24 seconds. Thanks, Matt. After a dreadful two hour delay at the Phoenix airport, I was in NYC with my Aunt Lynne and Cousin Dan by 730pm, that evening. I had lost the entire day. However, we had a fantastic meal in Jersey and even better conversation! Lynne and I met my Mom's fligh on Wednesday around 2pm and the three of us dilly dallied around Queens for a few hours before mom and I got plunked off at JFK for the actual flight across the ocean. All I could think about was how much I wanted to avoid the horrendous day of flying and just be in Europe, but mom and I managed to entertain ourselves at JFk until they permitted us to board. (A note about me...I can sleep anywhere. Lying, sitting, curled in a ball, on the floor, in the tub and, YES, ON A PLANE...the mere suggestion of sleep makes me drowsy. Mom? Not so much...so I am hopeful she's forgiven me for the occasional snaps at her on this trip...as I have forgiven her for her pissy-ness aboard the flight to Spain.) That being said, we arrive in Barcelona, Spain in the middle of the afternoon on Thursday. Ahhhh...it was a beautiful moment. I cannot describe to you in this blog how spectacular it smelled when we got off the plane and into the cab. Everything smelled like sea water and greenery. It was gorgeous and lovely. As we checked into our hotel, the guy at the front desk informed us that we were as special as we had hoped and would have executive privileges during our stay. This meant a 20th floor sea-view with an open bar whenever we felt like it! SWEET! Hustling up to our room, we did indeed have a spectacular view and I was immediately jonesing for a run on the beach! (After spending hours on some random wifi last night moving pics from my phone to my iPad, the damn site won't allow me to upload from my photos, after all. So, imagine a 20th floor view of the Mediterranean Sea with the sun bursting through the clouds and onto the brisk, windy beach...then, imagine me all wind blown and sweaty after heading out for a 4.5 mile run, as soon as we got to our rooms!) Go it? Good! Ok, so after feeling accomplished from my run, I walked into the hotel lobby only to find mom sitting and chatting with my fabulous Aunt Pam and Uncle Bruce! They both lurched up to hug and greet me, but I didn't allow them to get doused in my sweat and stench, so we waited until after my shower and before dinner. But, what a great way to greet Spain! The beach is gorgeous! The following day the four of us headed out for a day on the town. We rode one of those double decker buses like all the best tourists do and hopped off at the first opportunity to ride a cable car to the top of the mountain so that we could look down on the beautiful city. Perhaps one day you will have the opportunity to see these pics, too...'cause I have them, they're just being held hostage by the incompatibility of my iPad and google! Sigh. Continuing our bus tour, we wandered through town and all the narrow streets of shops. It was incredible and silly, nothing like what we see in any of the cities in the states. The gothic architecture, the narrow streets, shops of every kind and tourists EVERYWHERE with maps and cameras. It was a sight! Since I didn't run on Friday morning, by Saturday I had quite the itch! And knowing I am heading to San Diego in another two weeksto help Anne push out her 1st Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon, I thought I ought to try to get an 8 mile run in before we headed out for our day of sightseeing. The winds on the beach we triple what they were on Thursday, but I endured and 8.25 miles later, I was ready for my day on the town. My pace was 9:25 and considering the winds, I remain really happy with it. After the run, the four of us headed out to what is called the Sagrada Familia - a Catholic Church that continues to be built. I cannot describe just how incredible this place was. You'll need to google it because it's continually changing and growing. If I had more time, I would share the emotions of imagining it's original architect (Gaudi) and his plans for its future. Imagine knowing that you would not be able to complete your vision in your lifetime, but that you have faith in those following you and you know it will be done, one day. They say 2026 it should be complete. I would like to come back. The rest of the day we shopped, watched Flamenco and had another super late dinner (ya know, when in Barcelone...eat at 10pm). And this morning I awakened to a smidge of sun and pool temps around 65 degrees. But, yes, I jumped in and swam and swam and swam. It was only cold for the first 45 seconds, but it felt amazing to push out a solid morning swim for the first time in a week. After I got out, I asked the astounded pool guy what the length of the pool was. "24 meters," he responded. Damn...40 meters short of 1000! I should have stayed in for another lap! Ok, mom's itching to get to the ship. I have no idea when I can blog again. My apologies for the absence of pics, but I will add them later...I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds amazing! Looking forward to pictures! Bliss!

    ReplyDelete