Saturday, May 5, 2012

Olympic Triathlon - check!


Back in late November, one of my work-teams (the Informed Improvement Team, aka “ii”) discussed the idea of doing something ridiculous together.  I was training for a marathon at the time and Matt and Jim were training for a century (bike ride).  And, naturally, I had been expressing a desire to do something new; so, Matt and I concocted the idea of several of us completing a triathlon – together.  Jim was game, right away, and it took very little arm twisting to get Jacqui to chime in.  When we brought the idea to the rest of the team (8 of us in total), we got one more to agree – Brian.  Five out of eight team members was not a bad start.  We recruited from the outside, too – and eventually added, Jacqui’s husband, Aaron (who was my coach at the last tri), John and Jared.  The final team name was to be “My ii” – with the idea getting healthier as a work group.

This morning – the eight of us competed in the Rio Salado Triathlon in Tempe, Arizona.  Only three of us were brave enough to do the full Olympic length (Mer, Jac and Brian) – and the remaining five took on the Sprint distance (which, as you know from my blog several weeks ago, is no small endeavor AT ALL!).

Assuming the three of you who read my blog, read the one about the Sprint Tri three weeks ago, you know how it went and how I panicked severely in the water.  Well, as a result of that, I was deathly afraid of the Olympic distance (twice the Sprint).  And you should also know that the Triathlon sponsors were threatening NOT to allow us to wear our wetsuits due to warm waters.  As a result, I was an absolute MESS the day before the Tri.  I think Matt and I walked the campus twice, yesterday, and Jim counseled me in his office at least once.  



Day Before the Tri -- setting up!
However, we were all in this together – Brian, Matt, Jacqui, Jim and I from the ii team and the three additions of Jared, John and Aaron.  We all met the evening prior at the Triathlon Bike Drop Off and walked the transition areas, looking at maps and discussing our anxieties.  As we made our way to the lake entrance, the head swim-guy was setting up.  “Nope, no wetsuits guys, sorry.  We don’t want anyone to overheat – it’s going to be a VERY hot by the time you get off your bike.”  Several of us sunk, thinking about the natural buoyancy of the wetsuit and how much “safer” we all feel in it.

But, we all left one another and hoped for a good night’s sleep.

I slept poorly.  I awakened at 10:30pm and again at 1:30am thinking about the swim without the wetsuit.  So, when the alarm went off at 4:15am, I was jolted awake and none-too-pleased!  By 5am I was packed and ready to go.  I put my swimsuit on and took a look at myself in the mirror.  “I guess I look better than I did three months ago.” I thought.  But, the anxiety of the lacking wetsuit had certainly consumed me.  I did pack the wetsuit – hoping the lake temps might have dropped – I mean there was a lovely breeze the night before.

As I approached the transition area around 5:30am, I could see Matt in the distance standing not far from my bike.  The first words out of his mouth were literally the greatest words I had ever heard, “they just announced – wetsuit legal!”  I grabbed my phone and texted Jacqui, threw my bucket over the fence to Matt and ran-skipped to the entrance of the transition area and hugged Matt the moment I reached him.  “We won’t die!” I told him!  At that point, nothing could bother me.  Matt graciously put air in my tires before I landed and informed me that my front tire was once again around 50 lbs.  THAT was a little stressful, since I had JUST put air in the damn tires the morning before.  But, I could deal with that – it was wetsuit legal, after all.

The rest of the team members made their way to the transition area, as well all readied ourselves for our Tri’s.  And, even though the Triathlon peeps announced that there would be a delay at the start, none of us cared – it was wet-suit legal!  Instead of the first heat starting at 6:30am – the race began at 7:06am.  I was in the second to last heat – that’s where women who will be 40 by the end of the year and are completing the Olympic distance were relegated to start – at the end.  I don’t think we started our swim until nearly 7:30am.  
Matt, Mer and Jim -- just before putting our wetsuits on!
As our heat’s horn blew, we were off.  I stayed in the middle of the pack at the beginning, hoping to not lose it and begin to panic, but everything seemed to work itself out.  I was moving well and my breathing was completely under control.  I began to pass orange cap after orange cap (my heat) and just made my way through the water with relative ease.  As I approached the ½ way mark, I began to pass Silver and Blue caps (the prior two heats) and I still felt good.  At no point did I panic.  However, much to my friend, D’s, credit – he suggested I sing “happy birthday” to myself in the beginning.  It works when I have nightmares, so why not.  I did exactly that – but only for about 300 meters, the point at which I realized I had these 1500 meters down!
A strong swim finish - Anne got this great shot of me!
I was out of the water before I knew it and racing off to my first transition (T1).  I passed Anne with her camera and my awesome massage therapist, Lisa, who were there to cheer us on!

Once I had all of my gear on, I headed out of the transition area with my bike – ready to begin my 25 mile trek through Tempe, AZ.  The one thing I noticed on this race (as opposed to the last Tri) was that I was the ONLY person who had their running shoes in the baskets on their bike.  EVERYone else had shoes and clips.  And, no one wants to be passed by “running-shoe-girl”, but sadly for many their shoes and clips were no match.  (smile)  I thought it would take me an hour and 45 minutes to complete the course, so imagine how pleased I was when I looked down and saw that I would hit under 1:30.  For all the twists and turns of this race – I was REALLY pleased with my ride.  However, I made a fatal error during T1, I failed to take any electrolytes – and by the time I hit the transition area with my bike (T2), I was pretty depleted. 
Almost 1/2 way through the bike portion - and out of the saddle.
I <3 that Anne caught Dennis in this shot taking his own pics!
Matt, Jim, Anne, Dennis and Kris were all standing by my transition spot to tell me to hurry my a** up!  I was utterly humiliated changing from bike shorts to run shorts in front of all of my favorite people.  But, whatever – it’s a tri, I guess I have to suck that one up!  Matt and Jim had finished their races shortly before – it was so nice to see them smiling and helping to support me.

I was out the transition gate before I knew what was happening.  “Running – I got this,” I thought.  About a ½ mile into the 10K, my tummy was talking to my head.  The mixture of Jet Blackberry Gu, two Advil and a bunch of water, was NOT going to stay.  I tried to keep it down, but by the time I reached the first water stop, I tossed it all.  I was mortified and tried not to let anyone see my tears.  I grabbed some Gatorade and mixed it with water to try to get something back in my system.  However, I had to walk to keep my head and tummy in check.  The Gatorade helped.

By the first mile marker, I was back on my feet and running with the rest.  But, this meant I was going to have to stop at every water station to get more Gatorade and water.  Brian caught up to me around mile 2 and was a welcome sight, but I encouraged him not to wait for me as we hit the next water station.  I just didn’t want to get sick, again – and definitely not in front of a member of the team!  The temps were in the 80’s and the sun was beating down on all of us.  I am sure it was not a great recipe for a solid run, even without the upset stomach.

As I rounded the 5K mark, I saw Anne, Dennis and Kris, again – and shortly thereafter Matt and Jim.  I trudged through those last 3+ miles making sure to continue to stop for Gatorade and water.  The system worked and I was able to finish – but it was my worst 10K in history.  I appreciated Matt’s comment as I lamented my crappy run – “well, it’s not like you didn’t just complete a 1500 meter swim and a 25 mile ride prior to the 10K, Mer.”  I guess that’s true.  It’s simply disappointing when you know your run is your best event – always!

As I crossed the finish line I could see Matt and Jim standing, waiting.  The song on the loud speaker was The Black Eyed Peas “I got a feelin’” – a song you never tire of when completing a triathlon.  I raised my hands high and smiled at the two of them as I crossed – it was a great feeling to be done.  And, I already know that tonight’s gonna be a good night.
Jim and Matt -- I could see them through the finish line!
Ladies and Gentlemen!
L-R: Jared, Mer, Brian, Jim, Jacqui, Aaron and Matt
The cheering section!  Anne and Kris!

1 comment: