Saturday, June 16, 2012

Nature vs Road...


"Methinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow... Only while we are in action is the circulation perfect." -Henry David Thoreau

I saw this quote on my friend Kris’ Facebook status shortly after I had completed my workout, this morning, and I thought it was kismet that she posted it.  See, on Thursday of this week, Matt and I met at the trailhead in the foothills of Ahwatukee and headed out for a 6 mile trail run.  Matt took the lead, as usual, and we agreed to simply meet in the middle somewhere and again at the end.

Matt and me, post-trail run.
As we headed out, I couldn’t help but appreciate everything around me.  The sun was about to rise over the mountains, the rocks were old and warn from those who had passed before us, and the weather was sunny and already 80 degrees at 5am.  I had explained to Matt, some time prior to this run, that when I think of him, I often think of Thoreau – because it is Matt who always talks about his appreciation for all things in nature.  And, on this particular morning, I was living and breathing Thoreau – thinking about how much greater (than me) was all of the natural beauty surrounding the run.  Every moment I placed my foot on the earth, I was cautious and aware, as the rocks can be large and the sand can be deep.  The trail run is always greater than me – and it certainly defeats me in places, too.  It gets my heart-rate elevated to a point where I want to quit, but my mind convinces me to stay the course and that, like all things, I can push through this pain, too.

By the time Matt and I had attempted the trail run on Thursday, we’d already exhausted ourselves with intervals on the bike the morning prior.  So, as we approached the trailhead, we knew this would be one of our toughest runs to date.  But, we both finished – Matt a few minutes before me (and potentially a couple of tenths longer than me, as well).  I have much to work up to (still) when I join Matt for these weekday runs.

This morning, however, it was all me.  Jim, Jacqui and I are training for our next Triathlon.  It’s exactly one month away, so it’s about time to integrate bricks into my training schedule.  I prepared my tri-bag, last night, and even mixed my bottle of water with electrolytes, for my bike.  Too many times in the last couple of months have I hydrated or replenished poorly.  I simply was not going to let that happen, this time.

When I arrived at my gym at 5am, I was dismayed to see the indoor pool was “CLOSED”.  So, with trepidation I went to the outside pool to see if my day would be ruined.  Nope, I was allowed to use the outside Olympic pool, so the smile came back.  The only issue with the outdoor pool is that there is no time clock and my stopwatch was in my locker a bit of a distance away.  I would simply chunk out the 1000 meters and approximate my times.

When I got into the pool the analog clock on the wall said 5:17am, and when I finished the 1000 meters it read 5:41am – so ok.  I can take it.  I hustled into the locker room as swiftly as possible, considering the distance from the outside pool.  I didn’t bother to dry off because I knew it would be hot in Phoenix, so I threw on my bike shorts, running shoes (yes, I still have baskets on my bike – no clips yet), and waist pouch, and headed to my car.

I felt like it took forever for me to get my act in gear, but it actually wasn’t that bad.  I was on my bike and headed east in no time.  It wasn’t even 6am yet, so the traffic on the roads was really minimal.  I was hopeful it might also mean that I might catch most of the stoplights green as I traveled.  I wasn’t that fortunate, but I was moving along far faster than I have on any brick or tri prior.  My bike clock read “19-20” within the first mile, but as the next few minutes wore on, I was safely pacing around 18.5 mph.  In fact, there was a speed trap with a clock at about the ½ way mark, and as I rode by it read “18” in big flashing yellow.  I was all smiles.  As I turned back toward the gym, I was still clocking times between 18-19 only slowing for stoplights – hoping they’d change in my favor.  And, sure enough, as my watch beeped 13 miles, my AVS was 18.1 – YES!!!!  My best time to date!  All this training with Matt and Jim on the bike is REALLY working!  (The last tri had me at just under 17 mph, so this was pretty exciting for me.)

Going back to my car and tossing my bike in the back took no time at all.  I quickly stripped from bike shorts to running shorts in the parking lot and headed out with nothing more than my shades and my music.  I had hydrated while on the bike – with both electrolytes and water – so, I was ready to push out the last 3.1 miles on foot.

Sometimes, I can't believe I can run in a swim suit!
For the first time EVER my legs didn’t feel weird at all.  I felt ready to run.  I was easily pulling 9:20’s in the first mile, not even thinking about the warmer temps.  (The wet bathing suit was helpful, as well.)  Annoyed that I had to wait for the light at Priest and Elliot, I took off for the next couple of miles determined to keep my pace under a 9:30 – and I did.  Most of mile 3 was a sub-9 and I was soooo pleased.  I had a light to deal with at each mile, which jeopardized my times, but I’ll take a 5K in 28:32 any day – even with the lights.

I had done it.  By 7am I was done and feeling amazing.  I didn’t leave everything on the roads of Phoenix, this morning, so I know I can push harder the next time.  It’s sometimes hard to gauge how hard to push in the swim or the bike, hoping to save energy for the run – so this leaves me pretty excited for my next brick!  Tomorrow, I rest and reflect.

Lastly (and completely unrelated) – I am sending out Happy Birthday notes to three of my favorite people!  D – because you’re alive and that’s always worth celebrating!  Tom – because I <3 and miss you terribly!  And, Ron, because you’re going to serve me beer, tonight, and you’re 10 years my senior – happy 50th, my great friend!  





No comments:

Post a Comment