Sunday, September 23, 2012

Another First...


Some mornings I wake up and think, “Is this all I have?”  The workouts, the constant drive to move ahead at something so hard.  And, I have had a lot of conversations this week with people who are interested in becoming more athletic – some want to run, others to learn to swim – and I am hopeful that the reason they talk to me about these desires is because they know I will encourage them – they know I am so excited to see someone try something hard, defeating their fear of starting.

I think, now, I have a fear of not starting – of not getting up every morning to this thing I do.  I’m not married; I have no kids – so without my constant drive to go further, work harder and accomplish more, I’m not really sure what I would do.  It definitely fills a void and I am simply unwilling to allow anything or anyone to get in its way.  I feel like I have to say this because there are many who don’t even try, many who comment on how they “can’t get up THAT early” to get out there – and then there are those “half-ass-letes”, the ones who talk about their athleticism, but really aren’t interested in doing much more than bragging about their distance or their times – regardless of how inconsistent their training may be.  My love for this is greater than just about anything in my life – it deserves more respect from those who compare themselves to me.  I don’t mean to say this to be arrogant or even remotely competitive, but I work really hard.  It isn’t simply a passing attempt at something new.  I want to do more and to get better – and I will.  I just need support.  So, as always – thank you to those who are always so supportive (right here, on FB, via text and at work).

So, this week was a reminder that I am alone in this thing, for the most part.  I have workout friends – some more consistent than others – but if I am to be the athlete I want to be, I know I am going to be doing this alone.  And, I have to be ok with that.

I had a fantastic swim on Monday and really phenomenal 7.5 mile run on Tuesday – killing my usual pace and holding on to a 9:29 for that morning.  Its definitely getting cooler, which I am hopeful means my times can only go down!

Wednesday I went out with Matt for a relatively easy ride – getting his legs back from his huge effort the weekend prior in the Grand Canyon.  And, Thursday was my usual trail run – dark and slow, but as beautiful as ever.  Matt and I really knocked it out of the park on our Friday 20 mile ride, reminding me that I still have a lot of work to do (and DEFINITELY NEED A NEW BIKE) to defeat Matt at just about anything.  Don’t think I am not trying, though.

Matt said, "I need to open my eyes more"...and so he did.
Yesterday morning was my long run – 12 miles.  Compared to last week’s 15, this seemed like it would be easy.  Well, I confess, nothing that long is “easy” – but I was pleased that my times were consistent with the week prior – finishing the 12 miles in 1:58:45 (a 9:56 pace).  If I am going to hit a 4:30 marathon in Philly, these numbers MUST stay consistent week over week.  And, I can proudly say that they are more consistent this year than any prior year of training.  I am very hopeful, this time.

So happy to be done...I appear to be crying.

Lyla was very enthusiastic about my strong finish!
When my alarm went off this morning at 4:20am, I was excited and full of doubt.  I was about to attempt something I had never done.  The evening prior I had asked my good friend, Kris, if she was interested in doing her long run at South Mountain Park – it was Silent Sunday (again) and would be a difficult yet rewarding run for her.  She was up for it, so I told her I would pick her up at 5am and we’d be to the park entrance by 5:15am or so.  I had planned to ride my bike, since I had already done my long run on Saturday and I absolutely refuse to do back to back runs in marathon training (anymore) – its simply a recipe for injury.

As we parked the car, I pulled my bike out and my stomach was in knots.  I literally was sick to my stomach – mostly with fear.  I had committed to myself that I would attempt to climb the 7 miles to the Summit of South Mountain on my bike.  I had been warned that many do not make it without tipping over, stopping and starting (which must SUCK) or simply walking chunks of it.  However, I had committed to myself to do it – and by god I was not going to fail myself.  I knew I had to at least try – even if I had to walk or turn around and go back.

Kris headed out for her 7 mile run, and I tried to ignore the knots as I headed deep into the darkness of the South Mountain bike path/paved road.  The beginning of the route is the same as all of the others, but there is a point where you can head straight onto San Juan Road (which you all know I have done a few times, now) or hook a sharp left to head up up up to the Summit.  With trepidation, I made the left and headed to the top.

Two weeks ago, I pushed myself through a tough ride in the San Diego Triathlon, but even that climb was only 1.5 miles up.  The sun was beginning to rise – just enough so I could make out the lines on the road as I hit switchback after switchback, climbing my way up.  About ½ a mile into the climb, it already seemed as if I was gaining quite a bit of altitude, as the city lights of Phoenix blanketed the world beneath me.  It was gorgeous.  Continuing to climb, I was not struggling at all.  Sure I was slow – kicking down to the bottom 5 gears, but I was not in pain or doubting my ability to stay the course.  I could not remember where the hard spots were supposed to be, so I found myself hopeful I was hitting them as I saw every mile marker go by.
  

Having never done this before, and being alone, I actually had no idea what to do when I hit the first sign about 5.5 miles up that read “Dobbins Look Out <--” or “TV Towers -->”.  Which would be higher?  Which would take me to the top?  I went left to Dobbins Look Out and when I reached the top – it was a phenomenal view – but as I turned around in the lot at the top, I could see the Summit and I had certainly not hit it.  I would have to back track and make the right at the prior sign.

My view from Dobbins Point Look Out as the sun peered over the mountain.
Feeling good, I took a couple of gorgeous sun-rise shots from my phone, texted Kris so she’d know I was doing just fine, and headed back out to climb the remaining 2.5 miles to the top.  And climb I did.  My legs were on fire and I was smiling as I continued on the path.  It really wasn’t until I’d hit the last ½ mile that I had to get up out of my saddle to make it all work.  It was freakin’ steep and hard, but I pushed and pushed and pushed and came out on top of the world.  The TV Towers were right next to me – and the city and surrounding valley were specks beneath me.  I nearly cried as I looked out across the desert at some of the most beautiful landscape, touched by the rising sun.  I had made it.  With my detour to Dobbins point, I had climbed just over 8 miles and felt fantastic.  I was the only one up there and I enjoyed the scenery for a few minutes before deciding to whiz my way back down.  It had taken me 50 minutes to chunk out those 8+ miles, as well – but I didn’t care.  I never struggled and never ever had a moment of doubt that I could make it to the top without stopping, tipping or crying.

The view from the Top of the World after hitting the Summit!
The world beneath me!
The ride down was crazy!  Twists, turns and speeds that could scare even the best riders.  I had a blast.  What took me 50 minutes to get up, only took me 18 minutes to get down and back to the car.  And, there she was, waiting for me – Kris with a HUGE smile.  I approached the car with my arms raised high in the air and she knew I’d made it.  “See!  I knew you could do it!” She uttered as I grinned from ear to ear, slowing my bike.  I was on top of the world – and it felt amazing.

Two proud chicas!
We piled our stuff back into the car, and I drove Kris home.  We both spoke of our successes and the difficulty that South Mountain presents – both on foot and on wheels.  But, we were both proud of our accomplishments and so so happy that Silent Sunday exists.

After dropping Kris back off at her condo, I headed straight to Tempe to meet Jacqui and Aaron who were watching their good friend, Joe (from the Flagstaff Triathlon), compete in the Red Rock Nathan Sprint Triathlon.  Jim and a gal from the math depart, Sherri, were competing as well.  So it seemed like the right thing to do – even though I was ravenous and crazy-interested in writing this blog.  Jacqui and I watched Joe finish first (of our friends) in just over 1:23 (I think) and then Jim crossed the finish line in about the same time.  Coolest thing – Jim texted me later to tell me he’d taken 1st place in his age group and would be waiting for the awards ceremony.  So amazing – oh to be 60 and still able do this!  Hats off to Jim – and Joe and Sherri!

Joe and Jim -- proud finishers!
It’s been a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment