Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Inspiration...


Coming off the high of last weekend’s triathlon, I am barely enthusiastic about writing my blog.  But, because I love record keeping and I know at least three of you who actually look forward to this silly thing, I am at it again this morning.

I’ve spent the better part of the last 12 hours incredibly introspective.  For the last four years I have been part of an incredible student leadership retreat that involved students across the district – upwards of 150 students each year.  I was part of the planning team; I recruited college leaders on my campus; I built and delivered workshops and I hoped that the students would have a memorable experience each and every year.

This year, I am the dean – and therefore no longer involved in the day to day work of Student Leadership at MCC.  But, I was fortunate enough to be asked to drive up to the camp site and join the “old team” either Friday night or Saturday afternoon.  I choose yesterday/Saturday.

Before I continue the tale of the student retreat, I want you all to know that I did have another great week of workouts.  A couple of highlights were my 18.2 mph ride through the Foothills on Wednesday morning and a phenomenal trail run with Miss Loretta on Thursday morning.  At almost the half-way point of the run (in the dark), I looked up and saw the missile launch from New Mexico.  Naturally, I had NO idea what it was at the time, but I was not so busy with my run that I couldn’t rip my phone out of my Camelbak to get a photograph.  It may very well be one of my most memorable running moments.  Loretta had stayed back after about a mile of the run, so I was really hopeful she caught a glimpse of it as well.  Cool, eh?

Loretta and Me - post Trail Run
And there it is...
Yesterday morning, I got up at 4:30am for my long run.  The Philly Marathon is now 9 weeks away, so the long, tough runs are upon us.  I had 15 miles on the calendar for the day, and for the first time in months, I wasn’t really all that worried.  I had made arrangements with Anne, Sarah and Loretta to meet for breakfast – provided someone would give me a ride home; so, this simply meant that I would be able to run from Ahwatukee through Tempe and into Chandler.  It’s really nice on the longer runs, since Ahwatukee is so hilly and heading southeast is really pretty flat.  And, that’s what I did.

About 4 miles into the run, I realized the beer I had consumed the evening prior was probably not the greatest of ideas, so while my time was really quite good, I had to quickly run into a Circle K for a bathroom break.  30 seconds later I was back on the streets and feeling a LOT better.  By mile 7, I was in front of my favorite bike shop, sucking down a Gu Peanut Butter packet – my favorite.  The sun was finally beginning to poke out its head, but the mid-70-temps meant the sun would do little damage to what was proving to be a great effort.  With all the lights and the short potty break, I continued to maintain pacing around a 9:45-10 minute mile.  I could not complain!  However, as I rounded the park by Anne’s house at mile 13, I could see that I was pacing to finish my 15 miles in 2 hours and 31 minutes – NO!  I knew I could push a little harder for the last two miles to ensure a 2:30.  It probably makes little difference to any of you reading this blog, but 2:30 means I pulled all 15 miles in 10 min miles (considering lights) – and any minute over than would mean my pace was over a 10.  I simply didn’t want it.  Mile 14 – 9:49 and mile 15 – 9:32.  That was all I needed for a precise 2:30 run!

Feeling good, I made my way to Anne’s and the four (and a ½) of us had a wonderful breakfast at BLD in Chandler!  Thanks, Ladies, for feeding my depleted body!

Reverse Camera Feature with Lyla - FTW!

Sean was not exactly please about posing while eating pancakes!
So, back to the introspection – after the run, I showered and immediately headed up to Prescott to join the students and staff/faculty for a day of workshops and activities.  The drive to Prescott is gorgeous – and the mountains and hills en route are unlike anything anywhere else in the country.

It took just over two hours to get to the camp site – and don’t think my legs didn’t cramp as I drove.  The I17 twists and turns and goes up-up-and-down a LOT, so cruise control is not something easy to administer.  I was never so happy to get out of the car and see all of my old buddies from the various Student Life and Leadership departments across the Maricopa District.  I joined them for lunch and enjoyed the camaraderie of the group.  As lunch ended, I saw my good friend, Chris Braybrooks lingering outside the mess hall waiting to chat.  Chris and I had worked together on the retreat for the last several years – he’s an inspiration to everyone, especially our students.  He always offers workshops that get at the emotional core of our students, challenging them to remember the things in their lives that have held them back and hurt them, but not allowing those things to define them forever.

Chris looked wonderful.  He had lost weight; he had braces to correct his teeth; and he was as full of life as ever.  He had been released (rather unfairly) from his position in Student Leadership from Central AZ College at the end of May and was enjoying a new career in Student Leadership at a local Soccer College/Program in Central Arizona.  He seemed happy – even if a little frustrated by what had transpired at CAC in the Spring.

I attended Chris’ “Man in the Mirror” workshop while I was there.  In this workshop Chris asked the students to think about what they see when they look in the mirror each day – and whether they like what they see.  He asked them to think about the judgments cast on others – due to the color of their skin, their size, their gender and more.  He asked them to think about what kinds of prejudices they had personally experienced and whether or not they had contributed to anyone else’s insecurities (whether due to peer pressure or their own insecurity).  He asked them to reflect and as he did – he told his story.

Since I have known Chris, he has never been the picture of health – cardiac issues, divorce and more.  But, he always came out on the other side.  Chris is 27 years old and wise beyond his years.  As he walked the workshop space, he told the students that last November he was diagnosed with a rare form of heart cancer, something only 3% of the population has ever come out of.  His doctors have given him very little time, but yet he unselfishly continues to educate our future leaders on their emotional development – encouraging them to remember that people will always have it worse than they do; that even the most insurmountable health issues can be cured (at least daily) by contributing to someone else’s future.

I was speechless as I sat in the back of the room.  I regretted so much that Chris and I only spent three intense days together every years for 4 years in a row (and the occasional monthly 2 hour meeting).  I am a better person for having known him – and so are all of the student leaders who have ever crossed paths with him.

There was not a dry eye in the house.  And, when the workshop ended, the line of students interested in telling him about his impact on them, stretched out the door.  And, Chris huddled with each of them – encouraging each of them, embracing each of them.  He didn’t just pat them on their backs and let them go – each interaction was genuine, thoughtful and emotional.  These students have a role model and I am grateful for every moment I got to spend with Chris.

As I stood at the end of the long line, I thought about how I was going to say “good-bye”.  I thought about what I could say that would be anywhere near as profound as the gift he had given me, but I had nothing.  As I embraced him, I told him “I am a better person for having known you.”

All the workouts for self improvement – all the long nights at my desk in the office – nothing compares to my last few hours with Chris.  I am simply hopeful that yesterday can last me a lifetime.
This blog's for you, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment