Sunday, October 21, 2012

PR, PR...complete with minor injury


Before I pour myself a second glass of wine, I figure I should probably start my weekly blog.  Its amazing how unmotivated I am (occasionally) to do so, but tonight is one of those nights.
  

Strangely, I had another great week of consistent workouts.  I was fortunate to get a smidge of Matt’s time on Monday morning.  So instead of my usual swim, I went out for a short ride with him in my neighborhood.  He had JUST returned from his trip with Mickey Mouse to the Caribbean and immediately left on Monday afternoon for a business trip to Chicago.  He complained of drinking and eating like a PIG so I expected to kick his ass on the ride – but um… whatever, Matt…I was absolutely demoralized on the mere 10 mile ride we took through the less-than-impressive-section of the foothills.

Short but sweet ride on Monday morning!
7.5 mile run on Tuesday – and my times were decent – 9:31 overall pace.  It was after that run that I started to think that maybe I really am getting better and more consistent.

By the light of the house....
I swam on Wednesday and it was absolutely one of THE best days I have ever had in the pool.  When I arrived at the gym there was one guy in the pool – and he had chosen the center lane.  Never wanting a lane with a wall, I opted to swim in the lane directly to the right of him.  I hadn’t been in the pool in over a week because of my trip to St Louis, so I was feeling pretty fresh and ready to duke out 2000 meters.  The guy in the pool needed lessons – that was evident.  I felt rather bad for him.  He had the strength necessary to pull out some nice distance, but his form was embarrassing.  (I know, I know…who the hell am I to judge someone else’s form.)

Anyway, I hopped in and started to swim.  After about 400 meters in, I realized I was going to lap the poor guy.  Strangely, the moment he realized what was about to happen, he sped up – substantially – but it was futile.  I knew he couldn’t maintain that speed and within 25 meters, he was behind me.  Around the 875 meter mark, I realized I was about to lap him again – and once again, he pushed HARD to keep me from hitting the wall before him and moving a full 100 meters ahead.  But, I did and left him behind.  It was only about 300 meters later that it happened AGAIN and the poor guy struggled and pushed, but he was getting much.   I moved past him quietly in an attempt  to move past him with a diligence that would keep his humiliation at a minimum.  But, then I thought “holy crap, this guy is still going at it – and he was in the pool before I ever arrived.  For such lousy form, this dude is working hard – and hasn’t drowned.”  But, like clockwork, I passed him again at the 1750 meter mark and I thought he might quit.  NOPE.  And, now I was more motivated than ever.  How could I quit at 2000 meters when I could lap the guy – again!?  And, at 2050 meters, he pushed to beat me, and lost again.  250 meters ahead of him, I pushed out another 200 meters and got out of the pool with some of my best times to date.  I appreciated the competition – it really pushed me to work harder.  I left and he remained – so, I may have been ahead of him in meters, but he kicked my ass in endurance, for sure!

Thursday was my first trail run since the fall.  It was fine – but the trail was riddled with mountain bikers.  Several were in my way in very narrow passages, so I found myself pulling off the course to allow them by.  About ¼ mile after I’d hit the turn around, I was in one of the steepest, narrowest passages, when I saw the headlamp of a mountain biker and I panicked a bit.  Fortunately, about ¼ of the way up the passage, I realize that the biker saw me and was waiting at the top for me to pass.  As I approached the biker a woman’s voice complimented my distance and asked how my trail-run had been that morning.  I complimented her on knowing the trail well enough to wait at the top of that section – she was more than gracious and I was more than grateful!  I hope I don’t offend anyone by saying –  but female athletes are so warm and kind on the roads and trails.

No falling this week!
Thinking about my long run on Saturday, I opted to take Friday morning off in preparation for my 14 miler.

The weather in Phoenix is PERFECT, right now.  I didn’t need to wake up at 4:15am, which was especially nice since I had an unexpected friend show up at my door with a bottle of wine at 8pm, the night before.  But, after a decent night’s sleep, I was up at 5:30am and out the door by 6!  Running is always a nice excuse to make visitors flee at reasonable hours!
I told Anne to expect me around 8:20am; it was only 14 miles, after all.  Even though, I had breakfast plans with another co-worker, Anne was gracious enough to agree to still drive me home after my run – this way I didn’t have to do loops to my house and instead I could hit the flat roads all the way to Chandler.

Honestly, the run was pretty uneventful.  Somewhere around mile 8, my calf started to feel a little wonky, but I thought it might work itself out after another mile or so.  At mile 9 I was still pretty aware of this lower calf twinge, so I looked at my watch to see my pace.  9 miles…1:25.  At that moment I realized my pace was better than ever and that I just needed to maintain it.  Attempting to NOT think about the weirdness going on in my lower right calf, I glanced at my watch every mile only to see that I was still maintaining a better pace than I ever thought possible.  At the ½ marathon point, I was at 2:06:10 – a new Personal Record.  And I worked to maintain it – 14 miles in 2:15!  My best time, ever!  I am still pacing to hit my marathon goal.  I was on cloud 9 for most of the morning…

One proud gal!

See!!!  The 9:46 was the last mile - overall pace was 9:39/mile!
…until I realize the lower calf pain was not actually subsiding.  I continue to ice it and take ibuprophen, but will probably refrain from my running this week in order to help it heal.  I’ve had this before – its an overuse of the tendon and muscle area and only takes a couple of days to heal – provided I DO NOT run on it in the meantime.  And, after sitting in a movie theatre that afternoon with my friend, David, it was tighter than ever.  (sad face)

Ice pack, baby -- my new Best Friend!
Matt sent me an email Saturday evening detailing his hopeful bike workouts for the week.  I was worried a little about my lower calf, but I also knew that the muscle groups required for cycling are complimentary to running, but almost never the same groups.  So, when I met Matt at 3pm today for a 20+ mile ride, I warned him of the injury and my fears.  The ride was completely fine on the calf – but the winds annihilated me.  Once again, Matt showed me how much of a better rider he is than I.  I was feeling pretty defeated at the ½ way mark, but Matt looked strong so I decided to suck it up and push through as much as I could.  Matt remained in front of me several bike lengths for the majority of the 20 miles.  I think he does it to remind me that I HAVE to get a new bike – I have to at least level the playing field.  That’s ok; I know he’s right.  Soon!

As we pulled into Matt’s driveway the entire Ashcraft clan was out in the front yard.  Cole was on some very cool looking better-than-big-wheel thingy and (in typical 10 year old girl form) Brooke was complaining about something.  Baby Alex, the fabulous kid they foster, was on a blanket in the drive way until he saw Matt approach on the bike and he crawled like he had a motorized diaper to Matt, who was getting off his bike.

We tried to include Alex in our post-ride pic, but it simply was not going to happen.  However, Alex was impressed with the reverse camera feature for a 1/10th of a second and I captured this moment.  Good enough for me!

Cutie patootie finally saw himself in the camera!
More on the calf injury, soon – next weekend holds my last really long run, so I am going to nurse this potential injury to ensure I can pull it out in a timely fashion!

1 comment:

  1. those are some seriously sexy legs... that and once again the weather in Phoenix is perfect (its raining here and never seems to get to full daylight) and my life is just mud and dust.

    :)

    ReplyDelete