Sunday, October 2, 2011

21 miles – I completed a 21 mile run, this morning.  I am officially done with my long runs (prior to the marathon). 

As with all long runs, I checked the weather before heading out at 5:15am.  The report was NOT great – 82 degree start and then the temps were going to rise faster than usual.  However, the report mentioned some clouds, so I was optimistic about the rising temperatures.

Honestly, I was fine for about 14 miles – really until I saw Anne at our second meeting spot.  After leaving Anne (who by the way, showed up twice in her PJ’s – which I found adorable, but it evidently mortified her) my tummy felt funny, so I walked it out for a couple of tenths.  As I started to run again, the temps were drastically changing – and those clouds the report mentioned – well, there was not a cloud in the sky.  By mile 16, I was dreading the last 5 – DREADING.  I have never ever had sweat pour off my head during a run.  And, I mean it POURED off my head; I couldn’t control it.  It was like someone had turned on a faucet.  I worried I would be dehydrated – the sweat was ridiculous. 

I cannot tell you how difficult it is to pull 20+ miles in the heat with the sun on your face.  I was overheating with every step and literally walked much of mile 18 – I was heading east, into the sun, and Ocotillo Rd in Chandler has nary a tree for shade.

I was never so happy to see the finish line approaching and all I could really think about was stripping off my shoes and standing in Anne’s pool.  I was hoping it would be ice cold – but that’s a bit too much to ask for after one of the hottest summers on record in the Phoenix area.  It was definitely cooler than my body temperature so it felt phenomenal on my legs and bare feet.

Literally standing in Anne's pool!
Now we wait and taper.  Three weeks from today, Ron and I will be completing the St. Louis Rock ‘n Roll Marathon.  I am hopeful that all of this heat-related training won’t kill us for our 26.2 miles.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment