Monday, October 10, 2011

13 days 'til D-Day!

The marathon is 13 days away and anyone who has ever trained for a marathon before can probably tell you – these are the worst days.  Tapering simply fills your head with anxiety.  Last weekend I finished a 21 mile run in 85 degree temps and felt accomplished, ready for the marathon and what lies ahead.  This morning I awakened and thought “…only 12?  Maybe I should do more…13?  14?  Is 12 really correct?”  But, I have done this before – with 13 days left, 12 (miles) is correct. 

Honestly, the run was relatively easy.  I selected a very hilly route with miles of climbing – I wanted to make these 12 count.  As I have mentioned in previous blogs, the St. Louis Marathon route has quite a number of hills – some short and tall, some long and arduous.  So, when I say this morning’s run was easy – I mean it and it feels good to be able to say it, here.  I didn’t struggle through a single mile and found myself only frustrated with the traffic and the lights. 

I was watching my pace for the final couple of miles and really pleased to see numbers below a 9:30/mile.  This is huge (for me).  Most of the run saw times right around a 10 minute pace – what with the hills and lights, but to be pulling sub-10’s at the end has really given me the confidence I need for St. Louis. 

Speaking of St. Louis, I returned last evening from a trip (with students) to St. Louis.  It’s a conference the Student Government and I have attended for the last several years and I always look forward to it.  It really helps to reinforce that what we (the students and I) do is important.  I wasn’t able to run outside while there (which of course is very frustrating) because the conference hotel is near the airport (and not downtown) and is therefore right smack-dab in the middle of the St Louis ghetto.  As a result, I was relegated to the treadmill inside the hotel – the treadmills, of course, were situated right in front of a wall – and, while they all came equipped with TV’s, none worked.  :(  Those were some tough miles staring at the wall – with my butt hanging out for the rest of the gym-goers to peruse.  Yay!

Anyway – next week’s long run is a mere 10 miles.  Then it’s back to St. Louis and the marathon – holy smokes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment