Sunday, October 16, 2011

Final Run Pre-Marathon!

A couple of days ago my friend, Brent, mentioned (in a FB status update) failing on his 10 mile run in the middle of the week.  Half joking, I told him he could make it up on a ten-miler with me on Sunday (today).  Immediately, Brent took me up on it.  I admit, I thought (at first) that he was merely being sweet.  He’s a nice guy and all, but the only thing we really know about one another is that we both love to run.  In fact, Brent and I met three months ago at a 5K in Tempe – hosted by Ben Davis.  It just so happened that after the 5K, we sat at the same table gorging ourselves at a local Chipotle.  And, honestly, while we keep up with one another on FB and the various blogs – we don’t really know each other.  However, he was willing to meet me at 5:30am – and he was also willing to run at my pace.  So, who was I to doubt him.

Sure enough, 5:28am, Brent pulls up to my house ready to go.  “Good morning,” he announced loudly in the dark.  I knew it would be a good run; he seemed in great spirits!  I asked him if he was ok with some hills – knowing that even if he said “no” he’d have to find a way to endure them, anyway. 

Off we went.  The great thing about new friendships is that there is really an endless supply of topics to discuss.  We both went through relatively recent separations/divorces.  So, that was an easy topic.  In fact, I always find it interesting that we (runners) often date/marry non-runners.  Not only do we get into relationships with non-runners – we go head first into relationships with people who loathe the amount of time we spend running.  We both cackled as we firmly agreed that were either of us to do it over again – we would make sure our partner was as passionate about running as we are. 

We chatted about baseball – after all we’re both Midwesterners which means we are baseball junkies.  He recounted the 1985 World Series where the KC Royals beat my beloved STL Cards – but he then also confessed that that was really their last hurrah!  Naturally, we (STL) have had a few successes since then.   Brent is 27 – this means he was a baby when the Royals did anything interesting.  I give him credit for his enthusiasm for his team. 

The miles seemed to fly by.  I don’t think either of us even took in the scenery or gorgeous sunrise.  We just gabbed our way through the hills and miles.  Brent is finishing his PhD in Rhetoric (forgive me for not remembering the exact specialization, Brent) – and we even chatted briefly about assessment and student success.  He loves assessment – finally, a normal English major!  In fact, he joked about NOT being a literature major – which seems to be the norm for PhD’s in English. 

As we finished our last couple of miles, Brent mentioned that he is training for a marathon at the Grand Canyon the weekend of my birthday.  Only 300 marathon entrants – crazy!  It will be his very first FULL marathon and I look forward to hearing the stats. 

As for me – I have 6 days until St. Louis…6 days.  Next Blog will be post-marathon.  Thanks, Brent, for an absolutely enjoyable 10 miles!  Our friendship makes me very proud to be a part of the running community!!

2 comments: