Saturday, April 7, 2012

An Ode to E!

I am on Cloud 9, so I figure I ought to just complete the blog, today (Saturday) while still beaming from my successful brick work out.


Before I tell you about my week of workouts, I feel I need to recognize someone very special to me.  Last weekend, while working in Chicago, my great friend Erin completed a ½ Ironman!  My co-workers watched as I routinely refreshed the browser on my phone to see her updated stats.  Sadly, I think we were presenting for the conference around the time Erin crossed the finish line, so I missed the grand finale – but she did it and I am so proud of her.  


Erin was a former student of mine at another college years ago.  Once she graduated, I asked her to work for me in Student Life.  She was always a Game Production person at heart, but needing a job post-graduation put me in an excellent position to hire her.  Erin and I were always very similar in our motivation and love of life – both overly enthusiastic about anything we touched.  We were also two women who carried excess weight.  Erin is one of the few people in my life (today) who remembers me at 196 lbs.  She watched as I went from huge to smaller, in a matter of months.  I was working hard at becoming a different person.  And one day…one day, she asked me about running.  


A lot of years have passed since Erin and I had that conversation about running.  Erin is a different person today, as well.  She is fit and strong and can officially put a 70.3 decal on her car (if she chooses).  Not only that, but Erin has become MY mentor, now.  The tables have definitely turned and I lean on her, now, for the inspiration to continue my triathlon training.  This time, last year, I stood on the side of the road in Tempe, Arizona, as Erin completed her first Triathlon – the Marquee.  I will be following in her footsteps and completing the same Sprint Tri as Erin – next weekend.  I cannot imagine completing a ½ Ironman one year from now – but with enough motivation and encouragement, I am hopeful.  So, I thank you, Erin Ali, for being my inspiration – every day.


So, this morning, I woke up ready to complete my second full-brick workout.  I have had an emotional week – filled with disappointment – this just meant that I knew that my mind had the potential of getting the better of me and ruining the entire thing.  That’s the thing about workouts – they are 50% physical and 50% mental.  If either one gets wrecked, you can be in for a world of hurt.


At 5:45am, I got into the pool at the gym and began my 1000 meter workout.  I was the only one in the pool and I swam.  I focused on my distance and counted with every lap.  I started to think in percentages – 200 meters/20% complete – and so on.  It was working.  I smiled as I completed 500 meters, knowing I was ½ way there.  I wasn’t exhausted at 900 meters and found myself wishing I could keep going as all 1000 meters fell to the wayside: 24:58.  I jumped out of the pool and made my way quickly into the locker room.  


My massage therapist, Lisa, told me to just try to stay in my suit for the entirety of the triathlon – it would make everything easier.  So, I pulled my bike shorts and my t-shirt over my suit and ran out to my car where my bike was waiting.  Matt had installed a new computer on my bike the afternoon prior – and I couldn’t wait to see my stats fly by.  I also started my Garmin (watch) to compare the time and distance – fortunately there was a nominal difference.  So, I knew it was golden!


As I hit my 5th mile, I was on Pecos Road where I could breeze by with limited stoplights and cars for a good ten miles.  I felt great – so great in fact that I passed a guy I’d met at a stoplight a couple of miles prior.  I gather I had intimidated him by breathing on his wheel for the majority of 40th Street, so as we hit Pecos, he allowed me to pass and hung his head in shame.  He had all the right cycling accoutrements.  I was a runner on a bike – it was obvious by the Brooks running shoes in baskets (no clips/shoes) and marathon technical T.  


I finished my 20 mile ride in 1:11 very pleased with my effort.  I then threw my bike in my car and headed out swiftly for my 5 mile run.  That first mile is just bizarre – I think it’s the reason they refer to these kind of workouts as Bricks – ‘cause that is precisely what your legs feel like for about a ½ mile or so.  As I hit the first light, I glanced at my Garmin – 9:47 pace.  OH!  I GOT THIS!  Miles 2-4 were not bad at all – although, I had a stitch the entire time (probably a lack of water).  I was keeping a 9:32 pace for all 3 middle miles and I really felt just fine.  However, as I looked at my watch in the middle of my last mile it read a 10:17 pace – WHAT?!  My legs were obviously getting tired.  But, I pushed through it and rounded the corner near the gym to hear my watch beep its final 5th mile: 48:48!  YES!  I DID IT!!!  


I think I skipped back to my car.  I didn’t know who to text first: Mom, Anne, Matt, PLo??  I was alone with this incredible feeling of accomplishment.  For the first time in weeks, I completed my hard workout, alone.  It reminded me that I only really need myself for inspiration – and that even though I love all of those who inspire me and are willing to keep me company on the long runs and rides – I can and will survive these accomplishments with no one at my side.  


My week of disappointment subsided – and then I was treated to breakfast by Anne and her beautiful children.   Now I am off to celebrate (not only my great morning, but) Kris’ 40th Birthday!  Should be a blast!  Happy Birthday, dear friend!
Sean amused by the reverse camera feature on my phone!



No comments:

Post a Comment