Sunday, April 22, 2012

Runs, Rides, Portland and Friends!


I figured it out – there is simply nothing I enjoy as much as training for something difficult.  In less than two weeks, I am going to attempt double the Triathlon distance of last weekend.  In truth, I have been training for the Olympic distance since the beginning, so I am not as deathly afraid of this one.  My only issue is trying to stay focused on the swim.  (crossing fingers)
It’s been a great week of training since the Sprint Tri.  I managed to get in a 2000 meter swim on Tuesday and a killer spin class on Wednesday.  Of course, the whole spin class learned of Steve’s nasty fall on the same Tour de Mesa (70 mile ride) that Matt conquered, last weekend.  He broke all kinds of bones and the bruise on his left hip left us all squirming when the shorts were pulled up.  I’ll admit – it makes my silly 17-20 mph rides seem JUST fine!
By Wednesday evening, another team from the college and I were in cloudy/cool Portland, Oregon.  I was hopeful I might convince a couple of the gals on this trip to run along the river in downtown Portland with me – and I did!  On the first morning we were there, I headed out with Andrea (English Faculty) and Kim (Math Faculty).  However, about ½ mile into the run we all realized that I needed to go a faster and so we splintered off.  It was a gorgeous 6.2 mile run along the river and back to the hotel.  The following morning (Friday), Kim asked if I would consider another short run with her.  We headed out for about 2.5 miles and wrapped it up to get back to our last day of workshops.



6.2 miles along the River -- cloudy, but no rain!

Kim and Me - she reportedly hates this picture; she also has no idea what the url is for my blog!

Microbrew -- the other thing awesome about Portland!
We arrived back in Phoenix just before 9pm on Friday night, which meant I wasn’t going to get much sleep prior to the 8th Annual Pat’s Run – a 4.2 mile run to commemorate the late Pat Tillman and the scholarship fund in his honor.  28,000 runners, joggers and walkers line up for this short race.  It’s a lot of chaos for an outstanding cause.  This is the 7th year I have been part of creating a team for the event, and the first time I did so without my good friend, Rachel.  31 Sprinting Scholars signed up to be part of the team!
Anne, me, Shannon and Aimee - pre-race!
Adding, Amy and Loretta for good measure!
As I made my way from my car to the starting line of the run, I looked down and realized that I had completely forgotten my timing chip.  In my haste to get my stuff ready on Friday night, I left it on my dresser.  I was soooo incredibly disappointed.  I KNEW that with all of my training, I was going to do well on this run – and now I failed myself.  My times wouldn’t even count.   But, as luck would have it, one of my team members (who was planning to walk the 4.2 miles) removed the timing chip from her shoe and gave hers to me.  I was so grateful!
The Run this year was FAR better organized than the previous three.   I was in Corral 9 – and joining me were both Loretta and Mike Davis, who I have known since we were 15 and unable to drive.  I was thrilled that he, his wife (and my good friend) Kristi, and their two kids had signed up as Sprinting Scholars.  The horn blew and corral after corral left the starting line.  The most amazing thing about this race is the sheer number of people who crowd the streets on Tempe.  Its literally a sea of people – you spend a lot of your time bobbing and weaving through walkers and those simply slower than you.  Occasionally, you even get an elbow to the face (if you’re as short as I am).
Mer and Anne - post-race!
Kris and me -- taken by Jim, I think!
As I rounded the corner of the ASU stadium and could see the 42 yard finish line approaching, I glanced at my Garmin.  In shock, I glanced again – and when I crossed the finish line my watch read 37:41.  My best time in 7 years – a sub-9:00 pace (actual timing chip time: 37:40).  My times have NEVER counted on the top 5 of the team – but this year, I was #3.  THANKS, Aimee, for the timing chip!
#3 -- I modified it so my name would appear and not Aimee's
On cloud 9, again, from a wonderful race the day before, I barely slept, last night.  I awakened before my alarm in anticipation of a 40 mile ride with Jim and Matt.  Things are really falling into place, it seemed.  Matt and Jim are absolutely two of my favorite people – and I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to spend time (outside of work) with both of them.
At 6am, I met Matt at his house and after he made a slight adjustment to my/his bike computer, we were off to meet Jim a mile or so down the road.  I’ll admit – there’s a lot to be intimidated about when riding (not only) with two men, but two men of their caliber rider.  However, I have been convinced that riding (and running) with those who are a lot stronger is only improving everything I do each time I get out on the road.
The ride was out to Maricopa and back and Matt took the lead with Jim behind me.  This was, for the first time in months, a super flat ride – nary a bump in the road.  THANK YOU, MATT!  I watched my bike computer the whole way as we kept speeds far greater than anything I could ever do alone.  Matt and Jim took turns on the front – and attempted to kill me at one point by throwing in some random (inconsistent hand signal) – however, they graciously allowed me to draft 100% of the morning, so I probably should have complained a little less when all was said and done.  (Sorry, guys – I heart you both.)
Matt got a flat somewhere around mile 25 – which, strangely enough, was super helpful to me.  I watched diligently as he quickly removed the tube and replaced it with a new one.  I swear we weren’t stopped more than 5 minutes.  The last ten miles were somewhat uneventful (save Matt’s attempt to kill me) and we were back at Matt’s house a little over two hours from the time we started.

And, as we rounded the corner to his neighborhood, he once again reminded me how far I have come as a rider.  I know he knows how much I want to get better – and I hope he knows that I fully intend to complete a century within the next year.  Its rides like today’s that make me incredibly grateful for drivers who pay attention and friends willing to carry me along!  

Looks like our last one -- if I grow, perhaps I won't cut Matt's head off next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment