Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tri, tri....TRI!

I did it!  We did it!  3 months ago (almost exactly), Jim, Jacqui, Lora and I began training for our first Triathlon.  That training brought us to the first of two triathlons, this morning – the Marquee in Tempe, Arizona.

I spent the majority of Saturday eating my hands from nerves and preparing myself mentally for what would be one of the greatest challenges of my life. Fortunately, my great friend, Matt, was doing a 70 mile bike race Saturday morning – so as a nice distraction from our thoughts, Jacqui and I went to cheer him on around mile 54.  The weather for his ride was DREADFUL.  I could not imagine riding 70 miles knowing the winds at times would be upwards of 30 mph.  Phoenix weather is typically phenomenal this time of year – so I am always really bitter when it turns to windy and cold (and some rain) on the day of an important race.  Naturally, it worried us for the next day’s tri, but we tried not to think about it as we cheered on all of the cyclists.  Matt looked GREAT when we saw him.  He was all smiles and even blew us a kiss as he literally flew by.  Hours of waiting…and he was gone.  It was so worth it.  I had made a sign that said “What wind?  Shut up and Finish.  Go Matt!”  And, while Matt was too busy blowing us kisses in gratitude (meaning, he did not even notice the sign), several of the riders appreciated the humor after so many windy miles.  One rider busted up laughing – which scared us a little.  Another told us he really wanted to be Matt (you know, two chicks jumping up and down on the side of the road).  It was a solid distraction for both Jacqui and me – so great work, Matt (on the ride, and serving as a wonderful distraction)!

I went to bed at 8:30pm Saturday night nervous it might take some time to fall asleep – but the next thing I knew it was 4:30am and I had eeked out a fantastic night’s sleep.  THIS was a GREAT start to the day!

By 7am I was on the rode heading to the Tri.  Jacqui, Jim, Lora and I were doing the Sprint Tri distance (750 meter swim, 12.6 mile bike, 3.1 mile run).  There were many completing double and triple the distance, but we decided we would “start” with a Sprint before determining if we can go longer/farther.

I had made myself a super aggressive mix the evening prior so I could pump myself up en route to the tri (because we were told NO music on any leg of the Tri…and I always need my tunes).  But, when I got into the car, I needed something calming – so in went the Garden State soundtrack.  It was a good choice.

At 8:45am, the four of us lined up for the swim.  Jim was in the 4th wave, Jacqui the 5th and Lora and I were relegated to the 6th wave.  Lora and I made all kinds of friends while waiting our turn.  The water temps were 65 degrees, but many assured us it would not be an issue.  Several told us we might panic, but to simply work through it and remember to breathe.
Jacqui, Jim and me - pre race excitement!
By 9:15am, Lora and I were in the water getting used to the chill.  I was mentally focused on NOT panicking!  The horn blew and off we went.  The cold water was fine – but 200 meters into the race and I realized I couldn’t catch my breath.  I was beginning to do what everyone told me I would do – I was panicking.  I had to immediately stop free-style and begin to try to calm my breathing down by doing the breast-stroke with my head out of the water.  It was no good; it seemed to get worse and worse.  Were it not for the wetsuit, I thought I might actually die in the water.  (eye roll)  I hit the ½ way mark and tried desperately to regain my brain and managed to eek out another 100-150 meters free-style before weaving off course and getting signaled by some young guy in a kayak.  The last several hundred meters were fine, provided I continued to see where I was going (through my completely fogged up goggles).  I was never so happy to get the f*ck out of the water (pardon me, Mom).  That was NO way to start my first triathlon.
I'm in there treading water before the horn -- with Lora and 30 other gals!
As I ran out of the water, there in front of me was Loretta snapping video and pictures – and then there were a bunch what the Tri-people call “strippers”…they grabbed my wetsuit and tore it off me.  It was an absolute gift – the strippers were awesome!
One of Loretta's butt-shots of me almost to the "strippers".
As I found my bike in the transition area, I heard Jacqui's fantastic husband, Aaron, yelling for me to stay focused.  His best comment, “the rest of this is yours, Meredith – this is NOW your sport.”  I was pumped and ran out of the transition area with my bike.

I passed cyclist after cyclist – but I was only focused on passing those with the letter “S” on their calves.  This meant they were also doing the Sprint – so it encouraged me to be able to move swiftly around them.  I was passing a lot of people on the bike.  Matt had trained me well – and I felt very strong as I saw great numbers on my bike computer.  Around mile 5, I saw Jacqui (around mile 7 for her) and I yelled.  I think she was happy to see me, but it was a blip of a moment and it was over before either of us could think about it.

As I came flying back to the transition area, I saw Anne, Loretta and Kris screaming on the side of the road.  It was GREAT to have them on the route!  I saw them on my way out on the bike, as well – so it was exciting to know I would see them again 40 minutes later.  That really bumped my spirits.
Hey Anne, Loretta and Kris - thanks for cheering me on!
I ran my bike back into the transition area and, again, Aaron was there encouraging me to get my ass in gear and head out for my best event.  He was amazing (for me).  I remain so glad that he was there at each transition moment!  And, so I did, I pulled off my bike shorts and on my running shorts and left for the last event – the run.


My legs were heavy, but I pushed myself.  I was, again, passing “S” runner after “S” runner.  Since my wave was 2nd to last, it was good to be able to pass more people.  It really gave me a boost.  One gal, an experienced swimmer (trying to coach me before the swim), was hitting her left glute with her fist as I approached.  I asked her if she was “Ok” and she mentioned a tight glute.  She asked how my swim was and I told her about my mess – but I passed her and never saw her again.  I looked at my watch after the 1st mile – 9:21 pace.  (grin)  I continued to watch as my watch hit the second mile – 9:22 pace.  But, as soon as we entered the 3rd mile, we went straight up this hill.  And, then another hill that no one was running…I walked the initial 30 seconds of it, but then charged forth and chunked it out.  That last mile was a 9:35 – but making up the time of the walk meant I was pulling 8:40 for the last several tenths and I was proud of my effort.
I could hear Aaron yelling my name as I came around the last bend, and then saw Anne, Loretta and Kris as I ran into the finishers chute!  I was going to do it – I really felt great on the run and could have continued.
Here I come -- almost done!!!
And, as soon as I crossed the finish line, there were Jim and Jacqui waiting for me!  We all embraced and smiled – we had done it.  Lora was not in sight, but we knew she’d finish at some point soon – so we meandered to find Aaron, Anne, Loretta, Kris and Jim’s wife, Judy.
And - we're done!
What an accomplishment for all of us!  We all know what we need to work on (transitions, swims, etc.), but for a first Tri – I am so proud of what we accomplished.  I have so many friends watching via Facebook, text and blog-post, I am just grateful to have all of you in my life.

A HUGE Thank You to Aaron, Anne, Kris and Loretta – you were all so encouraging!  I hope you all know how much I/we need you out there!  I keep going strong knowing you’re on the other side!  And to Erin and Justin who told me I would panic – so at least it wasn’t a shock once I was in the middle of it.  I just kept thinking about what Justin said – “its going to happen, so just breathe and focus on getting out of it.”  And, that’s what I did.
Anne and Me - post-race!
I think Jacqui and I are worried about our Olympic Tri in 3 weeks, but maybe it won’t be so bad now that we have a clue what to expect!  And, maybe I am too elated right now to think about the level of difficulty it might present.  For now – I will just enjoy the day – the day I completed my first Triathlon.
These just came in -- so I added this to the blog, last minute!

6 comments:

  1. YAY Meredith! I am so happy to see it went well - you did an amazing job! I am already excited to hear how the Olympic goes!

    Love you!
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best! SUCH an inspiration to me, E!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mer! I am always so impressed by people who have the dedication to train for races like this. I'd much rather just cheer from the sidelines! Kudos to you on another job well don!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I feel like I was there with you in mind and spirit! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mer...that was amazing! I felt I was in the water with you! You need to get an earworm of your favorite song and maybe that will help you get through the water portion in a couple of weeks!

    Good job! I'm sooo proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynette!!!! Looking forward to having you at the finish line in November!

      Delete